7x57 Barnes TSX

257Wthrby

Whats everyones thoughts on running the 140 grain TSX in a 7x57 at 2800fps, enough to open up the tsx? mainly for mule deer and possible elk.

I shoot a 150 Etip out of my .308 at around 2700 fps and have had great success on mule deer out to 300 yards. Speed is your friend with copper solids. For terminal performance minimum impact velocity is far more important in getting them to open up than ft/lbs of energy. I would not have a problem shooting an elk at 300 yards with my .308, I'd say your combo would probably be in the same range.

I am still working on a load in my 7mag with 150 Etips starting around 3150 fps and I would not be too worried about shooting an elk at 600-700 yards with that load. Should not get down to the 2000 fps minimum velocity for expansion that I am comfortable with until you get to 700+ yards in typical elk hunting altitudes. That's all based on computer models, killing milk jugs and a handful of mule deer. Haven't had the pleasure of puting one in a elk yet.

Another option would be the 120 gr tipped TSX. You could run it at 3000 fps mv which should give you reliable expansion way out there.

I just wasnt sure what Barnes minimum velocity was, and still don't, sounds like i should be on par with your 308. I am going to try the ttsx in my 270WSM this year on Antelope and Mule deer so we will see how that one performs.
I also thought about the 120.....now you have me thinking about trying it again.
Sounds like 2000 might be the cut off im looking for as far as velocity.
Thanks Guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.