Anyone shooting the 7 LRM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by imohunting, Feb 3, 2013.

1. imohunting

imohunting Active Member

Was looking into the 7 LRM (375 necked to .284) and wondered if anyone is shooting this and what they think. Thanks

2. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

The 7mm LRM is a necked down 375 Ruger but it also has the shoulder pushed back to make a longer neck. There are several here that have one including Len.

I have read several positive reports.

If you do some digging you will find that this cartridge will perform similarly to the 7mm Dakota or 7 STW.

3. brando26

brando26 Well-Known Member

I know its old but I am curious also.

4. Capt. D

Capt. D Well-Known Member

After quite a lot of research and anguish trying to decide which 7MM I was going to build I finally settled on a 7LRM. Just before Thanksgiving I started the build with Jon Beanland. The reamer will be coming from Gunwerks as will the brass. (Hornady now makes 7LRM stamped brass for Gunwerks and is only available through them) I guess that the reasons I chose the 7LRM would be more like splitting hairs but thats what I chose. Jon Beanland has an excelent reputation and has been a pleasure to deal with to this point. We'll see in about 6 months, I hope.:D

5. bamadawg2009

bamadawg2009 Well-Known Member

Hopefully mine will be ready in about 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. I shot one and knew from the second I shot a 3 inch group at 700 yds I had to have one.

Here the website for my gunsmith if anybody is interested Ryan does outstanding work at a very good price.
    Superior Precision Rifles, LLC | Crawfordville, FL 32327

6. brando26

I really think its a great cartiage and have talked with a lot of people. I only one person who has owned the 7 lrm did not like it but he really could not tell me why. . I will be starting my build after the first of the year. Keep the info coming.

Why or why not?

7. sendero72

sendero72 Well-Known Member

Capt. D
    Do you rent the reamer or purchase it from Gunwerks? Can you tell me the cost?
    Thanks

8. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Its a ballistic twin to the 7mm Dakota and very similar in design as well. I can not say if the brass quality is same, better or worse then the Dakota but it would be a good performer for light big game out to well past 1000 yards.

For elk hunting, as with any 7mm magnum, I recommend 1/2 mile or less range be the limit. Not that they will not easily kill elk at ranges past this but this is just my recommendation for this bullet diameter on elk size big game.

Would be a good choice for long range hunting, especially light to medium big game. For heavier big game at long range, there are better choices in my opinion.

9. Capt. D

Sendero72
    We chose to buy the reamer and gauges from Gunwerks. The cost was $230.00

10. Capt. D

Looking forward to seeing some photos and range reports.

11. speeders

speeders Well-Known Member

I'm having a 7 lrm built and have been struggling what to shoot for bullets, 175gr nosler long range accubonds or 180 gr bergers. Both seem to have good and bad review as of late. For those reloading what did you decide on for powder?

Thanks.

12. oldmossy

oldmossy Well-Known Member

retumbo and 180 bergers for me. doe season opens tomorrow. will b putting some videos on here with the bergers n action. hopefully.

13. Long Range

Long Range Well-Known Member

Will John keep the reamer the reason I ask is I have thought of buying a reamer myself. I have all parts ready for a build just haven't picked which 7 I like best.

On another note what barrel twist did you go with. I have two 1 8.5 Bart's and was thinking the new 195 berger would be pretty good out of that round.

14. brando26

What was your "special" charge with the retumbo? How many grains? Just so I have an idea of where to start.