7 mm lrm

Coulda fooled me!

DT

Dick, read page 3 of this thread. It is pretty much all about the RUM. You commented on the RUM long before I chimed in...so I don't know what all the hostility is about. I simply threw out some info. It's a 7mm thread and guys are asking...my bad.

Dick, read page 3 of this thread. It is pretty much all about the RUM. You commented on the RUM long before I chimed in...so I don't know what all the hostility is about. I simply threw out some info. It's a 7mm thread and guys are asking...my bad.

I got my wires crossed up also! Redd more in to something than I should! My bad also!! Apology offered!

I got my wires crossed up also! Redd more in to something than I should! My bad also!! Apology offered!

Accepted...thanks! I got a little confused and was wondering if I did something wrong :D

Timber, forgot to mention that no apology is necessary...that is what these threads are for! I love these conversations, so much to learn.

Well to bring it back a little the 7lrm is pretty nice. The gunwerks crew is very sharp at development. look at huskemaw scopes, rangefinder etc. They just dont jump into production without proof. I think
My 7mag recoils less than my 7wsm. The 7lrm is less than my 300rum. They all will shoot...just comes down to component availability. 284 bullets arent exactly stacked on shelfs. If somebody wants simple stick with the 7rem mag. In my opinion, if this 26nosler jumps off, the 7rum will be close to dead.guys are already planning wildcats.

To the OP, directly about a 7mm-300 win mag wildcat compared to the 7LRM, I found a good article on the gunwerks website that talks about some of their design philosophies behind the 7 LRM. Overall I like their approach. Very sensible for an amazing LR cartridge.

Gunwerks - Gunwerks 7LRM (7mm Long Range Magnum)

And this goes back to some of the interesting points I see with wildcatting the 7mm bullet. As with anything, there is usually a happy balance point followed by a point of diminishing returns. More is not always better. In this LR game we've gotta push as close to the edge as possible without going over that balance point. Where that point is really is up to each individual, but the 7 LRM looks like it's right in the sweet spot. Other cartridges are probably very close as well, but Gunwerks offers a nice package ready to go.

Starting a custom build from scratch, I would avoid a 7mm-300 win mag just because of the effort involved in forming the brass, and then you have a longer/thinner cartridge with a belt. Why not start with a more modern design like the 7 LRM, and you can buy brass or fully loaded ammo right from gunwerks (or elsewhere??). Just food for thought. I'm sure others can chime in here as well.

As far as the 7/300, thee really is no extra effort in forming the brass. 300 win mag brass, necking die, load it, an shoot. Just like any other reloading process!( I might have left out a step, but we all know the process)! There is a lot of 7/300's out there,so I guess to each his own. IMO I like em! The 7mm LRM is a great round also( you will never hear me say anything bad bout it) I just wonder if a person has to order the ammo, because I've never seen any on the shelf of any ammo store. I'm just asking??!! IMO the 7/300 or 7mm LRM both are great rounds! Guess its just up to the user!

DT

I have never seen a good 7mm rum. Does not say that there isn't, like everything some will brag it to the end of times even if it does not shoot. But the rum I believe as well is done. The 7wsm, lrm and-300 win will be here to stay. Don't thing Dakota will fade out just wont be more popular than these three.

So what would the ideal case capacity range be for a high-performance 7mm be? Grains of H2O.

My #'s are likely not super accurate, just flipping through some various manuals and looking online for #'s. Just trying to put the cases in order and see if anybody can chime in to what the ideal case is.

280 Rem AI ~65 grains H2O
7wsm ~73 grains H2O
7 rem mag ~78 grains H2O
7-300 win mag ~81 grains H2O
7 LRM ~88 grains H2O
7mm Dakota ~89 Grains H2O
7 stw ~92 grains H2O
284/26 Nosler ~97 grains H2O
7mm RUM ~105 grains H2O

What others would you add? It would look to me that the range people use the most for LR rifles would fall somewhere between the WSM and the STW. Looks like the LRM falls right into the sweet spot on the higher end of things. Again, I'm sure my #'s could be adjusted, please feel free to correct them.

Then the factors such as belt/beltless, shoulder angle, overall length, etc come in to play to design the rifle. So many things to consider, it can get overwhelming to try and make a decision.

So what are some actual velocities theses guys are seeing on paper I'm stuck between a rock and a rock trying to decide what I want to build with this defiance action Layin around collecting dust I have a remington 700 in 7stw and I love it but what is the 7lrm gonna do for me that the stw will not

So what are some actual velocities theses guys are seeing on paper I'm stuck between a rock and a rock trying to decide what I want to build with this defiance action Layin around collecting dust I have a remington 700 in 7stw and I love it but what is the 7lrm gonna do for me that the stw will not

Nothing.

I like the design of the LRM, but the brass sucks. It is the softest brass I ever worked with. I wont do another until somebody else offers decent brass.

Could build a 7-26 nosler and be a beltless STW (26 Nosler holds 93 grains H20). That way you could throat the chamber out to seat long bullets further out to optimize case capacity and still be a repeater. Just saying.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts