Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

The best I can do is offer the advise given to me by an ol' timer about trapping The cougar. He said it works best on the polar bear but will work on anything really. You need an icy spot, which can be challenging this time of year. You cut a hole in the ice and line it with peas. When that big nasty cat comes up to take a pea, you sneak up and kick him in the ice hole!

Walla Job Done!

If that does not work, I would agree that holding a lion is tough. They can be snared, but you will kill the lion or neighborhood dogs. Hanging a largish bird wing on a type of swivel works great as an attractor. You can use a (frozen cottontails for bobcats accidently catch them) hot weather resistant cottontail rabbit impression LOADED WITH CATNIP!
For some reason the cat nip makes them loose their cautious keen senses. It can even be used on a well traveled trail to keep them around, they love it!

Best of luck.If the trapping gig fails, turn out the hounds, tree that bastard then step back 600 paces, long range shoot the Murdering dog eating beast, and be done with it!

Use a bear trap (the kind made from a large metal tube with a drop gate). Tie a goat inside.

Wolf Traps set up well, work for Lions, They can be brought to scent, baits work, but in most states they have to be covered unless a natural kill is found to set near. In Idaho no bird wings or feathers can be used. I nipped a few lions when I lived in SW MT and trapped for years. I have not caught or nipped one here in Idaho. But know some one in the Fed Control business that has trapped them and held them in traps and snares. Wolf snares would work for lion. Bear foot snares are good for lions for cable size. They do have a territory and will come back in a few days to a week on the average if in a big area. Bobcat lures work on lions also., good ones are worth the money. Good luck, and your other biologists should know someone with the right traps and methods down there.

See the Wolf Forum for threads with trap recommendations and rigging.

We have a pretty large trap in which we tried what you are asking to do, trap a mountain lion.

Large cylindrical shape trap that we had successfully trapped a bobcat in earlier in the year. It has a small box cage in the top where we put a chicken that can't be harmed by any cat or dog that finds it's way into the trap. It has a slid down trap door triggered by a pressure plate. Needless to say, the mountain lion has evaded it twice, and even stolen the chicken once. Both times the door was bent outward. I think on both occasions, it was only halfway in when it triggered the door, and the door didn't fully shut allowing it to bend and push it out, which is no easy feat for an animal with that metal. Our trap is very old and the metal is not as strong as it once was, but took a mallet to bend the metal back into place.

Good luck on your endeavors.

As you can see, clear as mud.

I'm thinking you haven't even determined if you have a mountain lion problem. Seeing a mountain lion isn't necessarily a mountain lion problem. They've been there all along but you almost never see them. In most cases, losing a pet is an owner problem. Manage your pets and you won't have suspicious losses. Losing stock is another story. I think your about to find out that a trap in your hand doesn't make you a trapper any more than a hammer makes you a carpenter. Luck.

You'll probably be better served by calling USDA Wildlife Services or hiring a professional Nuisance Wildlife Control Professional. Home of the National Wildlife Control Operators Association

We haven't heard the outcome of all of this, and it's been 3 years. Poor fellow must have got the cat scratch fever trying roosters patented kick him in the ice hole while he's taken a pea method.:D

Haha very funny....more like waiting for a break in work and working on financials/house hunting with the wife...deciding to save my vacation time for a nice hunt down in Mississippi. Left the cat problems to one of the guys that pays to hunt out there, he said it broke his trap 3 times so far so not sure what he is going to try now.

I trapped for a living back in the 80's, and all that others have posted is accurate. I, personally, have caught two mountain lions in bobcat sets, and yes, they are troublesome to release. The trapping of cougar in this environmentalist infested area is not legal, so live release is mandantory... However, no-one has ever explained how you are expected to accomplish THAT task. Both of these that I caught were snapped in #2 Montgomery's, coil spring "step-in" models. One a single trap with a drag, the other, two traps. Both sets afforded shade for the animal. As far as catchin' them....curiosity kills the cat. A bird wing on a double loop of bailing wire (so's it waves in the wind) over the bait works great, but MUST be restricted from overhead viewing or you will invent an eagle/hawk problem that is nearly as difficult a live release situation. (Cats hunt by sight, and at night) Nearly any dead animal bait (FRESH), will work. Trap concealment and scent considerations are largely un-important. Cats are curious and don't seem to use their sense of smell as a cautionary asset. You can "move" them around easily (ie. make them step over a branch and into your trap) A little urine from another cat DOES help, but not necessary. Normally a cat will find a spot with a great view..and watch for movement, then investigate. A trap LARGER than a #2 is recommended. If You figure out how to release that critter without the help of a .22 long rifle between the head-lites...let me know. Keep the kids in the house until the problem is resolved. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.