Anyone know a good book???

Firearrow

Being a new to "Precision" reloading I could sit here and post all day long about FL vs NS, trim this, bump that. What I would like to get is a book/books that explain the different aspects of "Precision" reloading, above what the reloading manuals say. My intent is long range hunting, and I know not all BR techniques apply, but they can lay a good sound foundation so that I can make a good informed decisions on the diffent techniques of reloading. I was told that Tony Boyer's book is a good to start with. Has anyone read this, if so is this the right book for me, and are there any other suggestions out there? O ya, and pictures for me are a great thing to have. More of a visual/hands on learner than read it and understand it.

Garett

The book you want is "Handloading for Competition" by Zediker. It's very detailed but the explanations are easy to understand.

Fitch

"What I would like to get is a book/books that explain the different aspects of "Precision" reloading, above what the reloading manuals say."

You want the "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide", Dave Brennan. I have several other "advanced books" that cost much more and give MUCH less help. It has eight chapters, each one is authored by recognised talents so it isn't myoptic in approach. Chapters cover an over-view of reloading for accuracy, competion with bolt AND gas guns, BR, magnum sporting rifle, wildcats, cast bullets and general accuracy load develpment. It's loaded with info, there is very little light chatter or fluff.

( Published by: Precision Shooting, Inc, 222 McKee St., Manchester, CT, 06040. I got mine from Sinclair International but I've seen it in better reloading shops and on Amazon.com.)

Before anyone else gets to it I'd suggest you skip the often recommended "Handloading for Competition", Glen Zediker, unless you actually shoot competition and do it with gas guns. Glen is certainly knowledgable but he's a college professon who loves the sound of his own voice so there is a LOT of chaff for most shooters to sift out to get a few kernels of real info. But, he tells us right up front he's speaking to competitors! (Okay, Fitch beat me in here!)

I would also caution against another Precision Shooting, Dave Brennan, book "The Benchrest Shooting Primer" unless you are actually headed into heavy duty BR competion. It's massive and has a LOT of info contributed by MANY experts but it's rambling and most of it ONLY applies to serious BR shooting. In fairness, the title says it's for BR, not hunters or varminters.

Last edited:
The book you want is "Handloading for Competition" by Zediker. It's very detailed but the explanations are easy to understand.

Fitch

+1 Great book. Was reading it last night. Has a bias towards high power shooting but covers reloading aspects that transcend shooting disciplines. One of the best.

I vote Handloading for Competition as well. That covers the best in reloading IMO.
Also, for the ballistic side of the house: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting.

I can't imagine really how BR books would help hunters.

Also, for the ballistic side of the house: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting.QUOTE]

Right on. "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Brian Litz is quite simply the best and most useful ballistics book I've ever read. Period.

Fitch

I own both the Precision Reloading Guide and Zedikers Handloading for Competition. The best one is by far Zedikers. I highly recommend this book if you want to crank out super accurate ammunition.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.