Anyone hunting in the heat?

Deputy819

Hey all! Wondering how many of you guys are "sweating it out" already this year? Temps here in Kentucky still hitting 90 degrees and our Crossbow season opened yesterday (9-21-2019) and runs till January 20th 2020. I almost went today but the 90 degrees showing on the thermometer kept me inside. Sitting on my back porch (in the shade with a cold drink :cool: ) watching one of my feeders as I type this actually. Maybe I need some internet hyena's to get after me and "motivate" me to get out there and start hunting already!! Got some decent bucks coming in fairly early to my feeder with clock-like regularity but no "whoppers" yet to speak of. Let's hear it, guys!

I went out a couple of times this week when we had some cooler weather here in North Carolina. The last morning I hunted, I had a "dandy" of a buck come in at 30 yards, but could never get a clear shot on his vitals. Oh well, that leaves me something to look forward to.

Good deal! How much cooler and where in North Carolina are you? I used to live in Raleigh not too long ago...

I live near Raleigh and this week got my hunting feelings going, some nice crisp mid 50 mornings and days in the 60s. This week is back to 90 though.

It's not the heat keeping me out of the woods it's the ticks

I've went out 3 evenings last week in Northern VA got an 80 pound doe Friday which was one of the better days. Monday last was my first day out it was 90 and miserable saw one doe. I ended up stripped down to my spandex and yesterday very similar.

The deer were out each time though saw a decent buck yesterday at about 2:00 pm. Acorns are just starting to drop. After 2 days of 85 plus degree hunting I'm thinking that's the max temp I will hunt in. Friday had a high of 76 and that was decent weather to bow hunt. I would say that anything much over 80 is getting outside my comfort zone at this point.

Even in the high heat they're still feeding though.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Calling for rain Monday and some cooler but back up by the end of the week.
My grass needs cut but it's crispy dry. I have about zero interest in hunting
when it's like this? Anyway my cameras have the bucks out way before day light.
We just left the full moon last week and they ran all night.

Calling for rain Monday and some cooler but back up by the end of the week.
Yes, Sir! Rain tomorrow and Tuesday the high here in Frankfort is supposed to only be 80 and partly sunny skies. Who Hoo! I'm off work that day and will definitely do some rifle-shooting that morning and take advantage of the cooler morning temps! I'm about where you are on the "interest" part. I think I can feel it....but it just hasn't taken hold yet. o_O

Very much looking forward to my annual "urban" meat hunt in SE PA (philly suburbs) coming up this weekend! Weve had some temps in the high 40s in the mornings hopefully it holds up

2C256D71-1C2E-449E-BFD0-74A4D225D38C.jpeg

Just took this photo with my iPhone (200 yards away). If you zoom in you can just barely make out a buck below one of my targets. See his rack stickin up? :D

i'm in north carolina as well. after a few cool days last week, it's back into the 90s, so i said the hell with it and didnt go this weekend. went last saturday early, and it was nice. it was 72 when i left the stand about 9am. i was comfortable, but the bugs were bad. i may just wait til gun season starts to go again. but the way we're going it'll still be in the 70s or 80s by then.

deer wise idk if there is too high of a temperature to hunt, but if it was above 75-80 it would be too hot for me to want to be out there...i sweat pretty easy and know that scent free or even pleasant scents dont come from sweating profusely.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.