Anyone hunt 13B AZ? My wife Just got a tag and its 2 wks out.

105Coues

Hoping to chat with anyone who may have hunted this unit in the past. She just got the call yesterday afternoon and we have less than 2 wks to the hunt. She didn't want to pass on the tag because she may never draw it again. this is truly a awesome opportunity. We have 2 chitlins attending a university so we probably can't afford a high price guided hunt. Maybe scouting info package if an outfitter offers it though...

I would call a local guide and give him a chance to "getrdone"...coukd spend a lot of cash and wasted time looking and not seeing.....

105, helped on hunts in 13B in 2014 and 2015. Not big numbers, but extremely large mule deer. Take extra supplies, extra spare tires for everything and warm clothing. There is 60-80 miles of rough to very rough road into the unit. Find a high spot and glass. On both hunts there were 5-6 of us glassing all day. The more help you have, the more successful you'll be. We got a 204 2/8 typical in 2014 and a 248 4/8 non-typical in 2015. Most of the hunters there had guides. The prospect of drawing this unit again is slim, perhaps a guide may be an option. Good luck

How did she just find out about the tag? Draw results have been out forever? I have hunted in there a few times. It is difficult hunting because the area is so big and very few deer. The bucks are big and it is a lot of fun. You will need to plan on coming in a few days early and being there for the whole hunt which means a lot of care and planning has to go into food. You will need multiple spares and we carried about 50 gallons of gas. You also should haul 50 gallons at least of water. If you have to go into town it will take pretty much an entire day. It is true that most people have a guide but we have killed some huge bucks and never used a guide. We had time to prepare, scout and are all pretty decent at hunting.

Thanks for the replies. She got a call yesterday about 3 pm and they said someone turned in their tag and she was next to draw. I am a little nervous having never been there and we wont have any time at all to scout which is not even close to being in my comfort zone. We will head up the day before the hunt and be glassing somewhere that evening. I got the spares, gas and food covered. I have tons of questions though. Is it worth taking a travel trailer or are the roads too rough?? Do these deer migrate as the ones in 12a? What is there primary food this time of year? Are there any major access roads? With the limited notice, it will probably be just the 2 of us.

I came from Goodyear to Page and over to Kanab,Ut and south, the highway from Marble Canyon over the top through Jacob Lake can easily have snow. We took travel trailers, but due to the bad roads it's very slow going. They all come in from the north, the cooler it gets the sooner they will appear. I was in 12B West in 2016 and there were a lot of deer there during the same dates as your hunt and they were heading south. You perhaps will be severely handicapped with just the two of you. I've talked to a few who have gotten helpful info from guides in the unit, if they are willing. Some have gotten help for a small percentage of the usual fee also since they're already there. I received an elk tag the same way your wife did in 2005. What a gift. Good luck

Take lots of extra gas!!! It's a long ways into the unit from the nearest gas station, and you don't want to be coming in and out for gas. I'd take 30 gallons extra personally. The deer in this unit are mostly resident deer. I believe that you are thinking of 12B deer, as being the migratory deer. 12 b will get deer from the paunsaugunt in Utah, and deer from the Kaibab. You more than likely will not see a LOT of deer on the strip, but what you do see are quality deer. There are not 200" deer behind every tree like everyone makes it out to be. The roads can be bad depending on weather. At this late in the game, I'd be calling a guide service. If I couldn't swing it, I'd be getting a credit card. You're right, your wife will probably NEVER draw this hunt again. Without some good knowledge, you will be lucky to pull out a huge buck. Without good information, a 180" buck can be difficult to get on the strip. So if you haven't put in the homework, I'd be getting a guide ASAP.

We opted for a DIY hunt. It was a pretty short hunt for us. Found a hot doe on Thursday evening and went back in the AM. Found her buck and a few others but he was the heaviest and largest frame. She thought about passing him as we watched them for a couple hours but then decided to take him. She made a great shot at 270 yards and he was done. He is a big 3x4 with great eye guards. The is a pic on CWT but i don't know how to post a pic here???
Met some good people up there and had a great time. She was very blessed to get that call.

Thanks to all the people who offered info on the unit!

Here you go. Great buck by the way.

Attachments

• 1724942399_Rhondasbuck.thumb.jpg.7d85ccd00ec29d2e99c1a510b5bca37d (1).jpg
    1724942399_Rhondasbuck.thumb.jpg.7d85ccd00ec29d2e99c1a510b5bca37d (1).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.