Anyone here ever play with the Ruger .204 ?

Yep. I had a couple cheap Savage 12's that were with super accurate 39gr Sierra Blitzkings and varget. Not the best for immediately stopping coyotes at long range, but they do work. I've had a couple kills between 500-600yds.

It's great for shooting prairie dogs and ground squirrels.

Own 2 a Savage 12 and Ruger #1. Both are stupid fun and accurate. Both shoot factory 32 vmax so we'll I don't even load for them anymore. Local squirrels know them by first name.... well, knew them...

Yep I had a howa and it was very accurate with factory ammo. Worked great on squirrels. Although they couldn't tell between a .223 and the .204 so I rebarreled into a 6x45.

Yep I had a howa and it was very accurate with factory ammo. Worked great on squirrels. Although they couldn't tell between a .223 and the .204 so I rebarreled into a 6x45.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the heavy factory bullet option 40 grs ? I think that should provide a pretty good BC.... Does it not for long range stuff?

I love mine, super fast and flat with zero recoil. Berger has a 55 grain varmint round that is BAD!!! And I mean that in a good way, as long as your barrel will stabilize them.

The 55gr Berger is discontinued.
The 204 is a great little round
Hornady factory ammo both the 32gr and 40gr superoformance shoot as well or better than my reloads from my wife's ruger 77.
I thought the 32gr the best, maximum velocity and the little bit of weight and bc you gain with the 40s still doesn't make it a long range round but inside of 300 it's point and shoot weapon

Hornady factory ammo both the 32gr and 40gr superoformance shoot as well or better than my reloads from my wife's ruger 77.
I thought the 32gr the best, maximum velocity and the little bit of weight and bc you gain with the 40s still doesn't make it a long range round but inside of 300 it's point and shoot weapon

Got an old left handed savage tactical with a 204 barrel on it.

7-6-08%20Glens%20007.jpg

It shoots 32 grainers great but will not thow a 40 worth darn. The 32 works great for prairie dog pups but is a little lite for blowing up full grown dogs.
The right handed tactial savage in 20PPC shoots the 39 grainers better than any prairie dog likes.

09outandabout%20050.jpg

But in the real world there just aint much diffference between between the 204 and 223, it depends more on what the barrel likes. The 223s are is just cheaper to feed.

Just looked and your absolutely correct, they have been discontinued. That is disappointing, when did that happen? I got a bunch from a local shop back in February so someone may still be able to find them around. Glad you pointed it out so someone didn't build a rifle for them only to find out they don't exist anymore. Now I have to figure out what I'll be shooting when I burn through the ones I have.

Berger decided to do a run on 55's once a year, I've ran them in a 20BRA at 3750.
I also have tested and shot some customs from a guy in Wyoming who makes 46.5, 50 and 55's that all have shot very good in my BRA in a 9 twist.
Anybody who would like some of these bullets p.m me and I will put you in touch.

My heavy barrelled Sako doesn't shoot 40gr bullets, either Rem Accutip or Hornady Vmax....But will put the 39gr Sierra BK's through one hole. This seems to be it's cut off point for stabilising them. Tried the 45gr Hornady too but it's not a proposition. All the lighter bullets shoot well.

I have a savage 12FV that shoots the 40 grain vmax into one inch at 400 yards. Love the round. Haven't tried shooting it further but wouldn't choose any other varmint round at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts