Anyone have this combination?

PAshooter20BR

I am trying to put together a build for long range work to 1000 yards for hunting. He are some rough specs. My questions are:
1) is this weight acceptable for a gun for long range hunting?
2) will this Contour of barrel hold accuracy for 3 shot groups?
3) what would recoil be expected to be like with a good brake?

Gun would be a 300 win mag with 215 hybrid, 10.5lbs ready to hunt, NF scope 5.5-22, bartlien #3 barrel Contour/brux #4 , mcmillan hunter stock or similar.

Thanks
Brandon

1) Yes
2) It should, maybe bump it up one to a 3B contour if in doubt.
3) Could be anywhere from .308 to .30-06 level recoil, lots of different factors will determine recoil.

I have heard lots of guys really liking that Bartlein 3B contour for weight savings and LR shooting/hunting. No personal experience with that barrel contour, just read lots of positive reviews.

Thanks - only problem is the mcmillan hunter only takes up to that number 3, have to change stock to a Remington hunter with wider forend and pick up weight there. Trying to keep The gun manageable for packing and carrying.

Thanks - only problem is the mcmillan hunter only takes up to that number 3, have to change stock to a Remington hunter with wider forend and pick up weight there. Trying to keep The gun manageable for packing and carrying.
You can almost always have the smith open up the barrel channel on a stock. B&C states that you can only use sporter contour barrels with their M40 Classic stocks, but I have one sitting in the safe that's free-floating a Sendero barrel, that I had the smith open up the channel on. Works just fine. You don't want to go too far with it, but slightly opening up the barrel channel shouldn't hurt anything.

Correction, this rifle was 10.5lbs without the scope. With the scope it will be 12.5 give or take.

Steve

Weight is personal preference, carry as much or as little as you like . Quality components will produce quality results .

That's no lie , ^^^^^^^^^^^. I sold my 12 lb and 6 lb rifles that shot great and currently own a rifle that's 15.8 lbs all up and shoots better than anything I've ever used.

Most folks will be served well by something in the middle.

@MudRunner2005 i didn't know that about the BC M40 stock. I have had them opened up to support full bull barrels with no issue.

To the OP. I would shoot for 12lbs for a .300 win mag. I have a 14lb savage (everything, scope, bipod, etc) in .308 and I can pack it anywhere. Plus it's a dream to shoot. Literally no recoil. Just something to consider. Also, opening up a barrel channel is pretty easy, if you want to stay with that stock. Those stocks have a lot more meat then you expect on them.

@RockyMtnMT thats a beautiful rifle. I think that would be a good bet for the OP to give him some solid ideas on how he wants to attack his build.

Also, I'm being sincere when I say this, I tell everyone on this forum and my friends who ask about weight. If weight is an issue, I would get stronger and healthier to pack it around. It's a win/win you feel better and are healthier from working out and you have a more stable platform when you make those long range shots. Aka not sacrificing anything on the rifle. All my long range rifles are 12lbs and up. Just buy a comfortable sling or pack that going in your bag. That's just my two cents. Now if you have some kind of limiting factor physically then by all means try and pack light.

@MudRunner2005 i didn't know that about the BC M40 stock. I have had them opened up to support full bull barrels with no issue.
My apologies, it is a Medalist Classic... Don't know why I said M40...Probably side-tracked from dealing with that other bullcrap.

Anyway, here's a picture of how much extra material there is on the sides of it... It's the stock that's on my .30-06 AI.

I've have/had several of these stocks, and this stock has never sat straight on any rifle I've had in it...And has a bit of fore-end flex and flex between the handle and buttstock, too. They're not bad stocks. Their stocks have a good feel and are comfortable, but rigidity and fit and finish are judgement aspects that I wasn't overly impressed with.

fullsizeoutput_141a.jpeg

Depends on where your hunting.

1. First I can say that 10.5 ready to hunt with your scope and barrel choice will be hard to do: 3b or #4 contour 4lb
Stock and pad stock and pad 2lb
Action CM orSS. 4.25 with mounts
Scope 2lbs (nightforce)
Your looking at 12+ pounds pretty easy loaded. It is pretty tough to get it to 10lbs without some careful thought and some compromise.

2. If you have any elevation or want to pack the gun much you will want it 9-10 pounds..trimmer stock, lighter scope, ect

3. Put a brake on it, if you want to shoot 200 + grain bullets at high velocity, and it kick like a 308--put a brake on it. No free ouch here.

Just some thoughts

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.