Anyone getting antsy?

crowsnest2002

I was out with my daughter the other day looking at prospect farms and asking farmers for groundhog hunting rights. It sure is nice when you ask and you have a 3year old next to you :) . Psy ops at its best. Anyone else getting the bug this time of year?

I found 20 new ground hog holes on my family farm and first walk around at the inlaws yielded 40+ should be fun as I can set up out to 440-880 yards on the holes....1140 if I'm feelin lucky...

Oh Yeah!!! My wife and I hunt groundhogs together and I told her on the way to church this morning that I have a plan for when they start coming out this spring. Hunt the soybean stubble fields before the corn is planted. Then hit the soybean fields when the soybeans are coming up and the hogs are eating them.

Jason

cornchuck said:
Oh Yeah!!! My wife and I hunt groundhogs together and I told her on the way to church this morning that I have a plan for when they start coming out this spring. Hunt the soybean stubble fields before the corn is planted. Then hit the soybean fields when the soybeans are coming up and the hogs are eating them.

Jason

X2 on the bean fields, on my family farm most are around the alfalfa pastures but on the wifes dads place they tend to stick to the bean fields....I was hoping the 45-60*temps this last week would get em outs their holes but nope....

crowsnest2002 said:
As an update my wife thinks I'm nuts because the fever has started.

My wife thinks I'm nuts cuz every time I'm home with alil spare time I grab my 300 wsm and my fishin pole and head to our lake.....never fails I don't get any response to the yote calls so I toss a line in the water and catch a fish in the first three casts, send her a pic of the fish, release it and hit the call again....figured out as I walk around the lake I stay in my camo and take gun with me.....Hell I packed my poll in the truck during deer season...I always see sumthin I coulda shot while I'm fishin....

I've put way more money into varmint rifles than I ever have elk rifles. I have a custom 7mm Rem mag coming. It should be ready within the next couple of weeks. The goal this year is to break the 1000 yard mark on marmots, maybe out as far as 1200. I shoot above timberline along the continental divide here in western Colorado, at altitudes from 11,500 to almost 13000'. We have a season here and you are required to eat them... important game animal you know.
I'm itching for the season, but it doesn't start until mid August. I'll have to drive down into Utah when the snow goes out of the La Sal's to get some shooting in before then. Fortunately there are the prairie dogs to practice on until then. I'll be out shooting them again in the next couple of weeks, when the snow melt and the mud dries between storms.

After Drivin through Texas for the last 3 days, I'm itchin to kill sumthin! I've seen hundreds of deer, a butt load of yotes and hogs, I'm ready!!!!

Shot my first one feb. 23 at about 30 yds.... saw another later that day around 600yds but it disappeared b4 i could get to the gun.. gun)

p.s. i would upload a pic but i dont know how.... searched and searched but still cant figure it out....

I've got till may 7th before season starts here, but if I see any during turkey season, ill shoot....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.