Anyone else get sick of looking for that "perfect scope" ?

Elkwonder

Does anyone else have a hard time finding exactly what they want for a scope at an affordable price?
Im trying to find a couple scopes for two new guns that will be my main hunting rifles. I have a 22-250 as well as a 280AI that I am needing to scope. I would prefer to dial turrets instead of using a hold over reticle design. The 280AI is a Kimber montana that I would like to keep somewhat light. Im interested in the Swaro z5 3-18x44, but have a couple issues with it. First I have read from several places that even the coil spring design on the z5 is not as repeatable as a night force and not a "great choice" when dialing up and down on a daily basis. It also is limited in amount of travel do to the one inch tube.
I am also a little concerned with the reticle disappearing in low light. When I looked through it at the store, the reticle appeared much thinner than what Im used to.
The night force SHV is a scope Im interested in. It really like the turret system because it has caps that remove quickly exposing a turret that is easy to dial ups and downs repeatably. I also like the lighted reticle.
However, the weight and eye relief sucks bad! I also am no fan of the 56mm. I know they are making a new model this year that is a 4-14x50, but its a FFP scope and even heavier than the SFP56mm...
SO, is there anything out there that I am missing, thats a nice compromise?
Thanks

Does anyone else have a hard time finding exactly what they want for a scope at an affordable price?

SO, is there anything out there that I am missing, thats a nice compromise?
Thanks

So far i haven't found a scope which can measure downrange crosswinds and from that calculate bullet deflection automatically.
Until the I'll use my old Leupold Mk 4 16x4 mil dot. After 40 years of shooing I'm starting to learn to dope wind and to know when it's not possible.

Compromise? Recognizing both your and your equipment's limitations is key to being a good hunter.

Last edited:
I have two Zeiss HD5 5-25x50mm scopes and really like them. They are a 1" tube, but still have 65 MOA of elevation travel which I verified to actually be 65.5 MOA on both scopes. The turrets are exposed push/pull locking style and allow an amazing 18 MOA of adjustment per revolution. Eye relief is really good, optics are nice and clear as are all Zeiss scopes, and low light performance is excellent up to about 20X. Most scopes drop off on low light performance around 15X.

If you can find a used one at a good price, I think they're well worth the money. Usually can find them used for $800-$900. I got really lucky and bought one of them brand new for $800 at a local store having a huge Veterans Day sale.

You might give consideration to the 3-18x44 Leupold vx-6. Just put one on a new build and am very impressed with repeatability, glass, weight and capped turrets, although I'm replacing the elevation turret with a Tac dial. I like it so much, I just bought the 4-24x52 VX-6 to go on another build. Of course, there is no perfect scope that works for all situations.

I am not sure there is a "Perfict" scope, but in my opinion there are very good scopes for a reasonable price.

For what you need/want I would recommend the Leupold Mark 4. It has great glass, (Very good in poor light), Half the weight of some other scopes. Positive turret adjustments, Lots of eye relief,
Plenty of reticles to chose from and a reasonable price for the features and quality.

There are plenty of good scopes that won't break the bank that are premium scopes and this is just my favorite for hunting.

I would also recommend something in the 30 mm 4x14x50 for the best hunting and light gathering
ability.

You can spend a lot more, and not get much more for your money. Plus Leupold has a service department and warranty second to none.

Note; For active duty service people, Leupold offers 2 of any of there scopes a year at a huge discount (Around 40%).
and NO, I don't have any stock in Leupold. They just make good scopes.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Consider two scopes on detachable rings on a good one piece base. A 'hunting' scope for normal hunting ranges (or hunting in timber) and a target type scope for long range encounters.

Good luck

Jerry

Speaking of scopes... anyone know of a good option for a light weight turreted scope for around the $1200 mark? I'd prefer less than 22oz. I know the Leupold Mark 4 4-14x50 is that weight. I currently have a Primary Arms 4-14x44 that weighs 24, and I won't go any heavier than that.

Any ideas?

I've been down this path and agree that there is not a "perfect" scope option for hunters also wanting to keep weight down. I ended up settling for a VX6 3-18x50 TMOA and am actually very happy with it. There's been a lot written about this scope in various threads and I think is one of the top choices. Decent glass, simple MOA reticle with MOA turrets plus a very simple zero stop that works quite well. You can also choose between capped or uncapped turrets.

Ok guys....I will take a very good look at Leupold. I like the look of the vx6 3-18x50 with the firedot4 or illuminated wind plex. I like a simple reticle.
Can I have a different turret installed on that scope so that it is a little friendlier to daily twisting? If so, that may very well be the ticket for me.
Also, is the VX6 and the Mark4 glass the same? If not, which has better glass?
The mark4 didn't appear to have an illuminated reticle that wasn't a mil dot of some sort.
Last question....... does leupold give military discount to prior military? I spent a large part of my career in the military, but have been out for about fifteen years now.

Thanks for all the help. After tonight, I wont be able to log back on till next weekend as I leave in the morning for a wolf hunt in Canada, but please keep the info coming.

Just noticed I overlooked the standard firedog duplex. That looks like a very nice choice as well.

Ok guys....I will take a very good look at Leupold. I like the look of the vx6 3-18x50 with the firedot4 or illuminated wind plex. I like a simple reticle.
Can I have a different turret installed on that scope so that it is a little friendlier to daily twisting? If so, that may very well be the ticket for me.
Also, is the VX6 and the Mark4 glass the same? If not, which has better glass?
The mark4 didn't appear to have an illuminated reticle that wasn't a mil dot of some sort.
Last question....... does leupold give military discount to prior military? I spent a large part of my career in the military, but have been out for about fifteen years now.

Thanks for all the help. After tonight, I wont be able to log back on till next weekend as I leave in the morning for a wolf hunt in Canada, but please keep the info coming.

I think it's VX3 glass

so are you saying the Mark4 and the vx3 are the same glass? If so does that mean the vx6 is better? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.