Shipping a scope with UPS, has this happened to anyone else?

DartonJager

Sold my NF NXS to a fellow member here. Went to my local UPS store in a small strip mall just over the border from IN in a town that is part of chitcago to ship it to him.

Much to my complete astonishment I was informed that UPS stores are not allowed to ship any firearm parts or accessories even if like my scope they are otherwise a TOTALLY HARMLESS item and incapable of being considered a weapon (and I do mean any not even a rifle sling or butt pad) and informed me I would have to take it to a UPS Commercial center to ship it. As I had offered to ship the scope adult signature required I didn't wish to go with USPO.

The UPS employee was obviously a true lib-tard chitcago-ite from her attitude she gave me when I asked as politely as could be can I list it as simply a telescope as it is 100% technically true a rifle scope is nothing more than a telescope and she now obviously irritated replied NO, I then asked does UPS ship swords, bayonets, battle axes, martial arts weapons like nunchaku's, and other non-firearm related implements of violence, she replied yes they do, I asked well is not UPS's refusal to ship any and all forearm accessories blatantly and unabashedly anti-gun and anti-second adamant? I then asked her BESIDES firearm accessories is there ANY other non-hazardous, non-flammable, otherwise completely harmless inanimate object or item that UPS refuses to ship? She simply repeated UPS's corporate policy. I asked is this policy unique to Chicago and or IL or is corporate policy for all UPS stores nation wide?, again she refused to answer me and said I would have to call UPS corporate or go to UPS's WS.

So I left and went ot the UPS CC in my town and shipped the scope. I didn't mentioned my little issue for fear they also would give me a hard time.

Anyone else encounter a UPS shipping store refusing to ship harmless firearm accessories?

I went to the UPS WS and could find no information or can not ship list, but I didn't spend hours leaving no stone unturned, but if there is a no firearm parts policy it certainly isn't made obvious at the UPS WS.

Using bthe search tab I typed in optics, telescope, and even hazardous items and nothing came up but general shipping directions. No can not ship list came up nor could I find one. I admit I could have missed it or worded my search incorrectly, but if a no can ship it list is at the UPS WS it sure aint easy to find.

Last edited:
Its all about the witch behind the counter. They think they own you and act like it. I've even asked to see in the regs where they say that they can't (won't) ship something. Don't have time to do that sir. Next time take it in wrapped and ready for the shipping label and tell them its a camera lens.

I had the exact same encounter at a UPS store two years ago. Lady behind the counter was pretty abrasive as soon as she saw I was holding a box with pictures of a riflescope on it. Ended up going to the local UPS customer center as well and had a chuckle over the whole ordeal with the very helpful and friendly guy behind the counter there. He said he would happily take my business away from those UPS store locations, mentioned something about all the local UPS "store" locations are just franchised and are allowed to make some of their own policies above and beyond the corporate level.

Ever since, I do all my shipping at that CC location and have had zero issues.

You should have your package packed sealed and with a printed label before walking into a ups "store"

All they are there to do is scan your label and hand you a receipt, nothing else. It is also cheaper if you print the label online than buying it in the store.

Ship USPS and have no issues. That's pretty ridiculous they gave you so much grief over a scope. The UPS customer centers are totally fine though- shipped a rifle two weeks ago without any issues.

anytime i ship anything firearms related (stocks, handguards, etc) its 'auto parts for my classic mustang'....pre-wrapped and either already labeled, or just need to get a label.

the ups / fedex stores that wont ship firearms to an FFL, even though its 100% legal is stupid. its not MY problem that YOUR employees steal things.

UPS will not give you these problems "UPS STORE" is a different entity that has their own BS corporate rules. When I drop off gun parts with them I always just say it's "machining parts"
Exactly. Not a UPS corporate policy, just the stupid retail stores. I've had the exact same issue. It's the stupid laws that allow businesses to be sued over gun violence that is truly the problem. Someone sends a scope that is used in a mass shooting, the shipper is now open to all kinds of bogus litigation.

UPS will not give you these problems "UPS STORE" is a different entity that has their own BS corporate rules. When I drop off gun parts with them I always just say it's "machining parts"
Yep. What's funny to me was I sent a bolt to LRI through UPS Store. Later in the week I tried to ship a scope and was told no since it is a firearms accessory, LOL.

I completely understand your frustration with them. My local UPS store is owned by a friend, and it is indeed corporate policy. However, any time I go in with gun stuff he says, "shipping another golf club, huh?" I ship all sorts of bird watching equipment, golf equipment, and "tools."

Sold my NF NXS to a fellow member here. Went to my local UPS store in a small strip mall just over the border from IN in a town that is part of chitcago to ship it to him.

Much to my complete astonishment I was informed that UPS stores are not allowed to ship any firearm parts or accessories even if like my scope they are otherwise a TOTALLY HARMLESS item and incapable of being considered a weapon (and I do mean any not even a rifle sling or butt pad) and informed me I would have to take it to a UPS Commercial center to ship it. As I had offered to ship the scope adult signature required I didn't wish to go with USPO.

The UPS employee was obviously a true lib-tard chitcago-ite from her attitude she gave me when I asked as politely as could be can I list it as simply a telescope as it is 100% technically true a rifle scope is nothing more than a telescope and she now obviously irritated replied NO, I then asked does UPS ship swords, bayonets, battle axes, martial arts weapons like nunchaku's, and other non-firearm related implements of violence, she replied yes they do, I asked well is not UPS's refusal to ship any and all forearm accessories blatantly and unabashedly anti-gun and anti-second adamant? I then asked her BESIDES firearm accessories is there ANY other non-hazardous, non-flammable, otherwise completely harmless inanimate object or item that UPS refuses to ship? She simply repeated UPS's corporate policy. I asked is this policy unique to Chicago and or IL or is corporate policy for all UPS stores nation wide?, again she refused to answer me and said I would have to call UPS corporate or go to UPS's WS.

So I left and went ot the UPS CC in my town and shipped the scope. I didn't mentioned my little issue for fear they also would give me a hard time.

Anyone else encounter a UPS shipping store refusing to ship harmless firearm accessories?

I went to the UPS WS and could find no information or can not ship list, but I didn't spend hours leaving no stone unturned, but if there is a no firearm parts policy it certainly isn't made obvious at the UPS WS.

Using bthe search tab I typed in optics, telescope, and even hazardous items and nothing came up but general shipping directions. No can not ship list came up nor could I find one. I admit I could have missed it or worded my search incorrectly, but if a no can ship it list is at the UPS WS it sure aint easy to find.

If you are shipping a long gun (riffle, Shot gun) to an FFL for a legal transfer, a private citizen can ship a long gun to an FFL for legal transfer. USPS is the way to go. It is much cheaper than UPS. You cannot ship handguns through USPS unless you have a valid, current FFL license!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts