Anybody running a suppressor?

oh, cut down the barrel then suppress? I'm sure it would be pretty noticeable drop chopping 6" off. I haven't chopped any down that far, but do run the can on several 16" pistol barrels. At 16" the 308/30-06/243 are showing small gains when suppressed. With the right load and case I'm sure you'd get fine performance from a suppressed short barrel. The suppressor does lose some effectiveness with full power rounds in that short of a rifle.

I fired six 308 155 grain rounds through mine(Omega) with no ear protection. My ears rang the rest of the day. Now after about 25 rounds I think it is quite a bit quieter. Does this continue?

may have settled down with a bit of carbon. I found that I can't shoot my 18" ar-10 without at least light ear plugs. I think it's a combination of the short barrel and gas system that might make a difference. on the other hand, my 30-06 pistol with 16" barrel is easily one of the quietest high powered guns I've used the omega on. it's weird, but I still swear by them.

I shoot a thunder beast 338 can on my 338 norma. The added length and weight are a trade off for reduced noise and recoil. I use a thunder beast ultra nine for everything else from 7-300 weatherby down to .223. Never needed hearing protection. Usually the bullet echoing makes as much noise as the shot.

I fired six 308 155 grain rounds through mine(Omega) with no ear protection. My ears rang the rest of the day. Now after about 25 rounds I think it is quite a bit quieter. Does this continue?
LOL...well....is the can getting quieter, or is your hearing going by-bye?

Yes, hearing going by-bye for a long time now. Ears ring to some degree constantly. I do believe the carbon build up has changed the tone or made it quieter. Please take care of your hearing.

If you ever start using one, you will never go back. Heck, I thought guns were addictive....

Biggest Pro, they are great tools for helping younger shooters learn the ropes without being intimidated by the "big" guns. It just makes shooting that much more enjoyable for all parties involved, except for the target.

Are the TBAC Ultra 5's any good?
I've seen TBAC's very own sound tests, and IMO, it's A bit too short to really be effective enough to justify the $1000 price tag + $200 stamp + wait time. I would go Ultra 7 minimum, but that's just personal opinion.

I'm considering buying one, never used one before. Anybody here have any opinions to throw out there ? Pro's ? Con's ?
never need one. no one ever knows where the first shot came from. but if you fire a second shot then every body knows. 1Shot1KiLL

I've been hunting suppressed for 4 years now i think? Would never go back. Used to only shoot suppressed but in competition a brake is honestly more effective in recoil reduction and i'm not wild about the increased length. I have a TBAC 30CB9, SiCo Hybrid, and an Omega. Have recently switched to Area 419's hellfire system so i can rotate them between rifles.

The only cons to them are weight increase and length though weight is close to becoming nearly negligible.

TBAC is the gold standard, maybe 1/10th mil shift from TOMB to can and the best sound reduction per weight on the market.

I'd go with the Ultra 5 or 7. dBs are not really the end all be all, especially on a hunting rifle.. 99% of people cannot sit there and distinguish between a couple dB. The ear isn't that accurate. Yes i realize the db scale is logrhythmic but it's inherently difficult to tell the difference between my Omega and my 30CB9. With the omega at 6.5" or so and the 30CB9 at 9" at least on two 6.5x47s both switching from an 18" barrel to a 23" barrel. I will say the 6.5 SAUM is louder than those but i haven't shot the CB9 on it only the hybrid and Omega and it wasn't very distinguishable.

Another benefit of the can is the bullet hitting the animal is very audible without the loud boom ringing your ears.
IMG_2261.JPG

I'll second the impact sound being very noticeable with a suppressor on. I can tell you of a solid hit immediately on the shot when using a suppressor. Both my deer this year were no doubters because of the solid thunk you get immediately following the crack. you kind of have to hear it to know, but it is very distinct.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts