Anybody running a suppressor?

WeiserBucks

I'm considering buying one, never used one before. Anybody here have any opinions to throw out there ? Pro's ? Con's ?

Just got mine. Here are my first thoughts. Had to wait 14 months. Not as quite as I expected. You still need to wear hearing protection. Unless you are shooting sub sonic. If you want to shoot sub sonic in a AR get a 300 Blackout or a bolt for other calibers. Glad I bought the model with the quick connect. I also bought one for a 22. I love it. It is way too much fun. With sub sonic it's quite, accurate, and a hoot to shoot. Would I do it again knowing the wait time. The 22 no doubt. The 30 caliber only if I had a specific need. Examples. You want a sub sonic 300 blackout. You want to reduce noise for yourself and shooting buddies. For coyote hunting next to your brother.

Even shooting supersonic when shooting herd animals like deer and hogs where follow up shots are likely they are great. Quite often even though they hear the crack they have absolutely no idea at all where the shot came from.

For night hunting particularly with smaller calibers/small to medium cases the reduced flash signature makes them worth their weight in gold.

One you shoot with one you will never want to shoot without one. They are great with subsonic rounds. I been running suppressor for years.
The cons are weight and length they add to the rifle.

If I get one it will be used exclusively on supersonic magnum bolt rifles. Lots of long range shooting and general hunting use , any advice?

Thunder beast suppressors are very good. I have one of theirs in 338. I do have others too. I shoot a lapua suppressed all the time.

I have a few yhm,gemtech,advanced armament and thunderbeast. I haven't had any issues with any of them.

I forgot I do have a form 1 suppressor I built. It is a 223 can and works very well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to contact a dealer Monday. I'm leaning towards Silencer Shop , anyone else I should consider?

Any particular brands to avoid?
I can't guarantee this, but I heard that Gemtech was a bit behind the times on their baffle designs, and their cans are still sort of loud by comparison... Once again, it's just what I heard, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I know Thunderbeast, Liberty Suppressors, and Dead Air all make great cans. I have heard great things about the new company called "Q". It was started by the guy who created AAC before he sold AAC to Remington/Freedom Group. I have also heard good things about a fairly new company called Thompson Machine from Florida.

I've had a Suppressed Armament Arbiter Ti for several years. It's been a great can for all of my 30 cal and under rifles. The cons are the physical dimensions added to rifles, especially long barreled ones. It adds a full 9" to the end of the barrel. My favorite rifles for suppressor use are my 18" 308 and my 6.5 Grendel gas gun. They work great as a suppressed hunting rifles and my subsonic loads are awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.