Anybody hunting or shooting with their wife/girlfriend?

This has been a fun thread to follow guys. I am thinking I need to get my wife onboard with this hunting stuff - she would be a lot more fun to share a tent with than these guys I have been hunting with recently! LOL

why would a guy want to talk about his wife on a hunting forum? why do you want to know?

The quote above sums up his thread.

My wife has been hunting, camping and fishing with me for 8 or 9 years now. She mostly loves the camping part and the fishing. When it comes to camping if I don't have something planned she'll get on my case about it, the more we can go camping the happier she is.

She doesn't shoot as much as I do, she has her own things she likes to do as well.

Here are her first 2 kills

Attachments

• IMG-20180610-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20180610-WA0025.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG-20180610-WA0039.jpg
    IMG-20180610-WA0039.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 204
Ok, I'm going to have to rat out my first wife, who wouldn't pick up a knife but would take a shot on game. She did well, too, something that surprised her father. So we're on a hunting trip up in the piney woods, arrived late, tossed enough junk out of the truck into the drizzling rain to sleep and konked out. 3am she's poking me in the ribs, "I gotta pee." So I'm holding the camper window up as a rain guard while she climbed out onto the bumper. Off in the distance a hoot owl hoots. "What's that?" Sez I, "Probably a bear." (I thought she was joking since she was raised on a farm). "There's no bears up here!" (I realize she's serious) "Well, yeah, there are bears but I don't think they'll bother us." About this time the hunting gods smiled down on me and a huge branch crrrrrack! breaks way up in the tree and comes crashing down 6' from the truck. Thinking a bear is going to bite her bare butt, her legs go straight out and she literally jerks herself into the back of the truck, banging both knees on the tailgate and almost whacking her head on the back of the cab! I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. Just use a little imagination, you'll get it.
Cheers,
crkckr

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?
Really.....this is like your wife or girlfriend asking...."Honey...do these pants make my *** look fat"... you could get slot of folks in trouble here!...... lmao. Enjoy the freedom and let your wife enjoy hers while you go hunting. You must be a newly wed and want her there...not for her cooking!

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?

Forgot to post this before. My father in law gave mi wife his Browning .22 pistol after we got married so I took her to the range and she loved shooting it. After that I had her try with a 22 rimfire rifle and she liked it. A year later she participateed in the Arizona State Smalbore Championship and got a got a trophy. So I got her a 7mmm-08 and hunting we went, it was a couple years before she had the opportunity to shot at a deer and when she did down it went.

If your Lady hasn't shot any firearms before, start her off with a .22, don't go crazy and scare her off with a 300 win mag or something like that Lol, and slowly take her up in cartridges and see if she likes it. Make the experience about her, change it up a bit so it's more fun and pleasant for her. Of she likes pink guns then do pink guns Lol. Mine doesn't, not even pink camo.

A couple years ago a buddy of mine asked to join us on a deer hunt, he ended up getting a nice buck and when he it got back to camp he hadn't gutted it yet and my wife asked him why? his reply was I've never done it, one of his friends is a butcher so he never had to. So my wife teached him how to do it, from beginning to end.

To see my wife teach another hunter how to gut an animal was a very nice proud moment. She also thought a couple of our nephews how to clean cottontails. And she'll teach you how to catch trout, she is way better at fishing than me.

Best regards

LVJ76

LVJ76, Several years ago, a neighbor of hours called, asking for help skinning a couple of antelope. It seems that some friends of his from back east, had come out and killed some antelope.....but were clueless about skinning them. I was working nights and sleeping when we received the call. She told me to stay in bed, and she would go a show them how to skin the animals. She ended-up skinning-out both "goats", while the watched!

She's been involved in field-dressing/ butchering, everything from Sage Hens, to moose! She ain't timid! memtb

My wife has always understood that hunting and fishing is very important to me and she has never had a problem with me being gone alot for that month or two in the fall. She knows that 10 months out of the year I'm at her "mercy" but October and November belong to me. Beleive me when I tell you if your lady doesnt like you going now it's not going to get better with time. If she finds out that by getting peed off at you that you'll cave in and start doing less of it she will keep on until you don't hunt at all.

PS: i find this very helpful.
https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/12-mistakes-men-make-when-hunting-with-women

I must be extremely lucky. No I should say. I am extremely lucky. My wife always goes with me. Fishing, hunting, shooting you name it. Spots for me, helps with the horses and mules. Helps set up camp, helps tear it down. Helps with the cleaning the fish and game we are lucky enough to harvest. She is my best friend and I love her more than words can explain. I don't consider myself a great catch and have no idea what I did to be so lucky. But am extremely grateful. We are getting a little older now. She still goes and is up every morning at 4 a. m. But if the hunt for the day is going to be a tougher hunt and she isn't needed to move vehicles etc. She may stay in camp. Mainly they are either going to like it, but you probably aren't going to make them like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.