Any advice how to proceed?

Mustang72

Might be long winded so I will apologize in advance.
About 3 weeks ago I ordered a cheap left handed axis off of gunbroker. My ffl dealer is not listed on there site. I mailed a personal check along with my ffl dealer's card. I sent a note saying they could call or fax them and they would fax a copy of their license over. Along with that was my name and phone number to call if there was any issue. I got an e-mail a few days later saying they were waiting for my check to clear before shipping. I tried calling a few days ago and couldn't get anyone. SEnt an email and got a response back saying I didn't select an ffl dealer and they were only required to hold for ten days and my rifle was gone. They had already cashed my check and it cleared my bank. They offered to refund my money MINUS their fees! I told them I still wanted the rifle and they simply said they would let me know when they got another in. Not even an apology! To top it off I checked my buyers account and they have already posted negative feedback for me! How much you want to bet that they try and raise the replacement rifles price. I will be getting in contact with gunbroker asap. Where do I go from there? Thinking of contacting atf and Kentucky bbb? Anyone ever have any issues like this before? Sadly I know the legal system is a pita,but to my simple thinking this is theft of a firearm!

You MUST send an image of the FFL. Not a "card". Especially if your chosen FFL is not listed on gunbroker. Mine is listed and I still send an image of his FFL so I can document MY compliance with regs. There are lots of unscrupulous people in the world seeking to scam the system. Diligence is paramount.

If you sold a firearm on gb and were responsible for a legal transaction, what would you expect the buyer to do?

In your circumstance, I would file a claim/complaint with gb to get a FULL refund for sale not completed. I anticipate gb compelling the seller to comply.

Best wishes.

get a refund, follow the rules the next time. if sending payment, copy of the FFL you want shipped to, cover sheet showing auction number, firearm, your bidders info and your full name, I use a USPS money order, it's usually faster than a check , and I don't really want my account number spread around everywhere. Or, use plastic so you can challenge thru the card issuer if things don't fly right. If your receiving FFL won't give you a copy of their FFL, prepare your envelope, let him put his FFL in the envelope, seal it and put it in the mail. The FFL copy is for FFL to FFL transactions, not FFL to customer to FFL transactions. The advice ATF gave me; "Protect your license". There must be a lot of fraud out there. the bigger the business of the seller, the more stuff (paper work)they are receiving, the more screwed-up the paper work can get, and the more time and effort it can take to sort it all out so the transaction comes off legally and to everyones satisfaction.

Last edited:
I have purchased a good amount of firearms off of GB, sending a hard copy of my dealer's ffl along with the check. In the past 2-3 years my dealer has communicated exclusively via email with the seller and I only send funds. However, immediately after the sale ends I email the seller with instructions and contact information for my dealer, give my dealer contact info of the seller and he emails the ffl to him, and with the check I include instructions and dealer contact info. All of this redundancy is copy/paste/send/print and is minimal effort on my part but everyone knows what is going on. It has worked wonderfully.

I think the OP should have included a copy of the ffl with the check if the above procedure(s) were not followed.
I think the seller could have followed through and contacted the dealer and/or the buyer(OP), and has been a complete *** in how he treated the buyer(OP).

Thanks for the replies. Yes I should have contacted dealer before mailing payment. I was in a hurry to go out of town for a week and had no internet service and very limited phone service.I have always done that before and never had any issues in the past. I will be finding a new for to go through in the future because this one will not give me a copy of his ffl to send. I asked a couple of times but it was never an issue until now. It is close to a hundred miles round trip to any for dealer for me.

The distance to your dealer is a good reason to set up the emailing of the ffl. In the past I had dealers give me a half dozen signed copies of the ffl to last for the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.