Antelope tag and hunt help, please?

jerryOH

I am a die hard hunter in Ohio. I was trying to put together an Antelope hunt for my father and best friend. Being an easterner the tag draw is pretty foreign to me. I have read quite a few threads and gather that WY is the best for beginner Antelope hunters. I am just very unclear about how to draw the tags, and if there are OTC tags or not. Best case scenario i would like to get bull antelope and mule deer tags for all three of us. if not i would like buck antelope tags for all three of us and a doe tag or two. Is this just dreaming? will it require a few pref points and waiting a year? can you apply for group tags for both species? i have done a bit of research on the trespassing fees and hunting land, just need help on the tags. I want the challenge of a DIY hunt but, if an outfitter is the only way to get all the tags i would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Hopefully others more familar with how tags work will offer some advice. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Booking with an outfitter is not required at all.
Most questions can be answered on the WY G&F website. Tags can also be purchased after the draw by both OTC or on the website. If you prefer to do it the old fashioned way, the G&F can send you a non resident application booklet.

The antelope draw odds and amount of leftover tags vary with the hunt area in question. Areas with alot of public land are usually harder draw odds and may require some points. Areas that are mostly private land usually have alot better odds, but you may have to pay a trespass fee.

Deer tags are similar, but some hunt areas are "limited quota".....meaning there are only so many tags offered for that area. Other areas are "General Liscense"..........no quota. The General areas are better draw odds, but the bigger bucks are usually in the limited quota areas, generally speaking of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.