Wyoming antelope hunt help!

aOWENc

Hey everyone, new to the forum..
Going on an antelope hunt this fall and was wondering if you had any tips, I'm torn between taking my 243 or my 300 wby, I'm leaning towards the 300 due to the kenton turret that would come in handy for longer shots. I would be using 150 partitioners or ballistic tips. We're hunting the northeastern part of the state, what can I expect in the way of rattlesnakes? Just ordered danner jackal 2 snake boots just in case! And what gun rest would you recommend, I have a caldwell dead shot but was thinking of maybe a bogpod or trigger stick due to the lighter weight and less bulk.. thanks everyone!!

I've never found it necessary to use anything more than a Harris bipod for hunting Wyoming goats. Although I think the .243 is a bit light or the task, IMO the 300 Wby is overkill - unless of course its a very long shot and there's a lot of cross wind. But if I had to choose between the two I'd select the 300 Wby cuz once you're out there you can't go back and switch rifles.
Never even seen a snake in Wyoming so can't help you there. But it might be useful to read up on the Prairie Rattler which is the most prevalent.

Lived and hunted there since 1987.. Have only seen snakes maybe 3 times in 29 yrs. Personally I'd use them.243 given your choices. The wind can be the limiting issue with longer shots. Antelope are not large and are rather "soft" and easy to kill. Depending on terrain, usually a bipod works. Grass height can be the issue. Good luck. Bruce

Lived and hunted there since 1987.. Have only seen snakes maybe 3 times in 29 yrs. Personally I'd use them.243 given your choices. The wind can be the limiting issue with longer shots. Antelope are not large and are rather "soft" and easy to kill. Depending on terrain, usually a bipod works. Grass height can be the issue. Good luck. Bruce

+1 Bruce. I've been hunting out there since 1992 and every year since 1999 and have only seen several little prairie rattlers over all that time. There is also absolutely no need for that big banger if he has a .243. That and my 25-06 are all I use out there for antelope and they don't know what hit them. I shoot off my camera tripod, as it's a multi-purpose tool in that I use it with quick disconnects for my camera and spotting scope. When I want to shoot I just turn up the handle to make a V and lock it in such that it's almost like shooting off the bench.

Thanks guys, makes me feel better about the snakes, I could also take my dad's 25-06 but would really like more scope magnification then the 3x9 that's on it now

Thanks guys, makes me feel better about the snakes, I could also take my dad's 25-06 but would really like more scope magnification then the 3x9 that's on it now

If you have access to a 25-06 and your .243, take them both with you and don't look back! You really don't need more than a 3x9 variable scope and that's about all I have on everything centerfire wise in my safes. I do have one older straight 6 on a 30-06 Sako I got when Dad passed in 2014 and it hasn't been out on a hunt yet. I do have a 4-12 Leupold on my .243 Sako, but it's not because I need that for antelope. It's because I reload 58 grain Hornady VMaxs and use it for the longer pdog shooting I do out there and that extra magnification comes in handy. With a little .22 Hornet for stuff inside a couple hundred yards and it for the longer stuff it's more than enough for what I need for the small and bigger critters.

25.06 or the 243 will do the job and goats. 25.o6 might have a bit more distance. Don't worry about the snakes that much. They are there, but not a problem.

Antelope aren't that hard to kill when hit right, I use my 22-250 with 80gr amax with no issues when hit in the heart/lungs inside 300 yards.

I have killed them with my as issued 1903 Springfield built in 1909, full military configuration iron sights and all with a cast bullet hand load that was in the same ball park as a 30-30, at just under 70 yards. Last year I killed my buck with a muzzleloader wearing a 2-7x scope at 97 yards. The fun part about antelope hunting is the hunting. I see the appeal of shooting long but don't let anyone tell you it is a requirement for hunting antelope.

Binoculars and spotting scopes are almost more important than the scope on your rifle when hunting out here.

I have lived here for about 8 years now and have yet to kill a snake in Wyoming and I kill every rattlesnake I see.

First thing I noticed is that you are using 150 grain pills in a 300 Roy. A 270 would make better use of the 150. A 243 will kill goats all day. You are worried too much. Grab a rifle & go hunting!!!! Have fun. As far as snakes, I hear they taste like chicken.
Thanks, Kirk

....You are worried too much. Grab a rifle & go hunting!!!! Have fun......

Amen!

I'll be using up some of my WY Antelope pref points this year as one of my first "hopefully" long range hunts! I figure if I can poke one with an arrow at 27 yards, I ought to be able to get into rifle range! :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Robert

Hey everyone, new to the forum..
Going on an antelope hunt this fall and was wondering if you had any tips, I'm torn between taking my 243 or my 300 wby, I'm leaning towards the 300 due to the kenton turret that would come in handy for longer shots. I would be using 150 partitioners or ballistic tips. We're hunting the northeastern part of the state, what can I expect in the way of rattlesnakes? Just ordered danner jackal 2 snake boots just in case! And what gun rest would you recommend, I have a caldwell dead shot but was thinking of maybe a bogpod or trigger stick due to the lighter weight and less bulk.. thanks everyone!!

My boyou and I have taken 11 antelope with .243. Longest 340 yards. 85 grain barns tsx best bullet. The 150 grain bullet is overkill unless as someone said a long shot with a full value wind. We use bog pod rests.

Last year was my first year out there and dad and I took a 7 mag and a 6.5x47. Shot one at 18 yards with the 7, a couple at 630 with the 7 and 1 at 612 with the 6.5. All same results. Out of 6 tags the average range was 440 yds. Just take what your comfortable with and it will work. AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts