Another Medical Billing RANT!

Call volumes are higher than "average" it's the standard recording?????

Higher than average every minute of every day, somebody doesn't know how to calculate averages. How about a recording that says admin is busy lining their own pockets, and is to cheap to hire people to answer a phone.

Truth is nobody wants to admit we're rationing care in this country, we do it by restricting access. Unless you want to cut your pecker off, that could move you to the front of the line.

Old people are bad for a lot of reasons. Yes you guys are hard on health insurance companies. Worse yet A lot of you guys are self sufficient. You know things like how to change a tire and fix stuff. On top of that most you guys are financially independent and aren't persuaded by a handout. This is a different world today than fifty years ago. Loss of freedoms loss of integrity. We've come along way from buying dynamite and the Hardware store and having a deal done by a handshake and were not going the right direction.

Old people are bad for a lot of reasons. Yes you guys are hard on health insurance companies. Worse yet A lot of you guys are self sufficient. You know things like how to change a tire and fix stuff. On top of that most you guys are financially independent and aren't persuaded by a handout. This is a different world today than fifty years ago. Loss of freedoms loss of integrity. We've come along way from buying dynamite and the Hardware store and having a deal done by a handshake and were not going the right direction.
I can remember the day of going to a hardware store to get dynamite. I was with my dad at the time.

You are 100% correct and I truly believe its deliberate.
It is very deliberate.
The short answer is that it's a part of Medicare law that results in the pre/post-65 pricing difference in prescriptions.
If you don't like it, complain to your Congressman or Senator.

I tell patients who are nearing age 65 and on any expensive medications that THE most important thing for them to consider when looking at Medicare plans and Part D is the end cost to them of prescriptions. Some plans are much better than others.

If you don't like it, complain to your Congressman or Senator.
I have met with my reps that have zero understanding of how the drug tables work. This is not a problem of liking but clear disparity of drug prices for people under 65 versus over 65. This is pure age discrimination for equality of drug pricing. I will pay my fair share but I do not believe anyone over 65 should be penalized for being over 65 for cost of prescriptions. As a doctor you should know that to be true. Complain to my reps is a 🐂💩 statement.

The problem arises when a drug is moved 2 levels by whom? Who makes that decision? My finding is to force you to take a generic without zero consideration a person may not be able medically to do so. The cost is now driven by the table classification. My cardiologist got no where with anyone. You are officially screwed. If you have a statin problem, you are screwed. The difference in plans in this case is minimal.

Symbicort is the perfect example as I pointed out numerous times. Coupon $25 if less than 65. Over $65 and around $130. Heck even the GoodRX etc can't lower that cost. No change in Part D will change that cost.

I guess we need to speak Español to get cost reductions.

I have met with my reps that have zero understanding of how the drug tables work. This is not a problem of liking but clear disparity of drug prices for people under 65 versus over 65. This is pure age discrimination for equality of drug pricing. I will pay my fair share but I do not believe anyone over 65 should be penalized for being over 65 for cost of prescriptions. As a doctor you should know that to be true. Complain to my reps is a 🐂💩 statement.

The problem arises when a drug is moved 2 levels by whom? Who makes that decision? My finding is to force you to take a generic without zero consideration a person may not be able medically to do so. The cost is now driven by the table classification. My cardiologist got no where with anyone. You are officially screwed. If you have a statin problem, you are screwed. The difference in plans in this case is minimal.

Symbicort is the perfect example as I pointed out numerous times. Coupon $25 if less than 65. Over $65 and around $130. Heck even the GoodRX etc can't lower that cost. No change in Part D will change that cost.

I guess we need to speak Español to get cost reductions.
SEE!

You may not like the comment, but it's absolutely true.

The disparity in pricing is due to government rules. It's not the drug companies who set the rules for this, it's Medicare.
If you're over 65 and still on "regular" insurance you can still get discounts. It is ONLY when you transition to Medicare that the pricing changes. It has nothing to do with age, per se, but with the rules of the Medicare program.

Since the government runs Medicare, you can complain to Medicare and to your representatives. If you think there is a better place to complain, then go for it.

The bummer is those who paid into medicare pretty much fund those who cannot afford medical care. I work in a pharmacy and watch people all day long walk out of the pharmacy not having to pay a dime. My Mom who her neurologist described " has the Cadillac of insurance." pays roughly 4-4.5k per year for her insurance and meds. At one point she was paying 7.5k per year just for her meds. When you add her medicare premiums to that she was paying over 10k per year for her insurance and meds. I see it as three fold. It's set by the govt, by the insurance companies, and by the vendors for the drugs.

If you're over 65 and still on "regular" insurance you can still get discounts. It is ONLY when you transition to Medicare that the pricing changes. It has nothing to do with age, per se, but with the rules of the Medicare program.
Nope, private companies offer the discounts to drugs. So far, I have confirmed Medicare does not prohibit drug company discounts.