Another Core-Lokt Bullet

MAKES A GUY WONDER.......
Why we are trying to reinvent the wheel...... ????
All these grooved bullets,from years ago have been used..... vapor trial has always been there if you got a decent scope....

As I've stated many times before, the Rem. Core Lok, Win. Silvertip, Power Point or SP, regular Hornady, Speer, and Sierra plain jane bullets have piled up game for decades and still do, I should also mention Nosler's Partition bullets. If one feels the need to use some of the newer designed specialty bullets then by all means do so, I'll stick to what my family and I have been successful with for several decades.

Absolutely, I bought 4 boxes when I got my Remington 700 30-06 back in the 1980s.
I used two a year until I gave the gun to my nephew 10 years ago. One to check the scope before season and one for the deer that year.
I assumed when you pulled the trigger they were suppose to fall. That all changed when I went though several different rifles and ammo, one of the main reasons I visit this forum.

MAKES A GUY WONDER.......
Why we are trying to reinvent the wheel...... ????
All these grooved bullets,from years ago have been used..... vapor trial has always been there if you got a decent scope....

Because the cup and core are not as effective at high velocities and they are not ballistically efficient for long range scenarios.

I love corelokt for all the reasons stated but I would not use them where the MV is much greater than about 3000fps ... the only issues I have ever seen with them was a 130gr corelokt + 270WSM + <100 yd target ... the bullet just blew up before it got into or through the frontal rib cage.

So I run accubonds in my magnums, 243, etc.

The corelokt is a great option for 270win (I use the 150gr) or the 6.5 man bun, 7mm08, 308, etc where the MV is ~3000 or less.

The Federal Fusion is another great option IMO.

I have a bunch of 100g CL for 257 as well as some 100 Speer Hollow points for same, wonder how those will work in the 257 WBY? Coyote splatter?

I'm 65, was using 06 with 150 core locts from about 1970. My dad and uncle were using them in their Rem 721/06 and 270 obviously before me.
I can't count the number of big whitetails taken always with exits and great results.

BUT! The original core locts had the BC of a BRICK, ~(.315)! They work great but past 300 yards they'll drop like a rock. We didn't have the scopes like today, sighted in at 3,4 inches high at 100 and you're good.
The difference between the old core locts and the tipped, which have a boat tail with a BC of .447, is like comparing a 30/30 to a 308!
Tipped core locts are comparable to Hornady SST

Here's the comparison in an 06. Zeroed at 328 yards. I use a metric range

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902_124337.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902_124337.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20220902_130922.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902_130922.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 51
I'm 65, was using 06 with 150 core locts from about 1970. My dad and uncle were using them in their Rem 721/06 and 270 obviously before me.
I can't count the number of big whitetails taken always with exits and great results.

BUT! The original core locts had the BC of a BRICK, ~(.315)! They work great but past 300 yards they'll drop like a rock. We didn't have the scopes like today, sighted in at 3,4 inches high at 100 and you're good.
The difference between the old core locts and the tipped, which have a boat tail with a BC of .447, is like comparing a 30/30 to a 308!
Tipped core locts are comparable to Hornady SST

The Tipped Corelokt is a flat base bullet as I mentioned on post #5, I got the image from the Remington website. Images of them are also posted on the ammo boxes. I found out when I was looking for ammo for a friend, and the images looks like the original flat base corelokt, but with a green tip. Definitely not an SST. Here is the picture again, and the old version as well.

OLD
Screenshot_20220902-122918_Firefox.jpg

NEW
Screenshot_20220902-122924_Firefox.jpg