Another Core-Lokt Bullet

Memories are great but no doubt the tipped new Corelokt is a better bullet. As are many of the newer bullets.
Fusion is a fantastic medium range bullet. But ELRH requires specialization. The long rangers play on different field than I have access to.

MAKES A GUY WONDER.......
Why we are trying to reinvent the wheel...... ????
All these grooved bullets,from years ago have been used..... vapor trial has always been there if you got a decent scope....
Because innovation is great, life is all about choices, and variety is the spice of life. 🤣

Because the cup and core are not as effective at high velocities and they are not ballistically efficient for long range scenarios.

I love corelokt for all the reasons stated but I would not use them where the MV is much greater than about 3000fps ... the only issues I have ever seen with them was a 130gr corelokt + 270WSM + <100 yd target ... the bullet just blew up before it got into or through the frontal rib cage.

So I run accubonds in my magnums, 243, etc.

The corelokt is a great option for 270win (I use the 150gr) or the 6.5 man bun, 7mm08, 308, etc where the MV is ~3000 or less.

The Federal Fusion is another great option IMO.
Good concrete answer and I'll add that a tougher bullet is going to give you a lot more flexibility in terms of shot angles if you want to take reliable (as in not losing the game) and ethical (as in if you care about a quick kill) shots. Core locts of the appropriate mass, like 180 grain in 30-06 for elk ... have been getting the job done and will continue to do so ..... but if your only shot on a big bull elk or big tough hog is quartering to or away, I tend to think tougher bullets are going to be substantially better suited for the purpose. As in there is a substantially lower chance of failure with the tougher bullets. Nice broadside shot straight into the vitals, I doubt there is much difference so if you are okay with limiting yourself to those shots and that is what your rifle likes, go for it. My 30-06 hated factory core locts by the way. For my 35 Whelen that I'm putting together for deer hunting, I don't have a lot of factory options and if the core locts I do have shoot well, they will probably be what I go with. Fingers crossed that they do

I agree with this but can you explain why people have had great results in 7 mag, 300 win mag, 270 and the 243 with light cor lokt factory loads? If I'm close to 3000 fps I will use a bonded bullet
I'll throw out a few possible explanations:
-Saying that there are effectiveness problems doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to get a lesser result in a given case. It might be more about a type of failure that is more likely in certain situations ..... maybe a situation that you will never actually encounter. If you have a 10% chance of failure, you will have success 9 out of 10 times, which is a lot of success. If we are talking about either having a dead trophy elk on a big hunt vs. wounding him and having him get away, 10% higher likelihood of failure looks like a big number to me. For me, giving an animal a 10% better chance of not suffering more than necessary is worth me shelling out a few bucks as well. But in the end, it's somewhat subjective. And of course we don't know what these numbers really are since it's not very practical to run good studies/experiments with like 10,000 shots on certain game of a certain weight with X caliber and Y bullet at various distances.
-Maybe those people are limiting themselves to shot angles where there bullet isn't being heavily stressed
-Maybe they are shooting more at distance where these bullets are hitting in a more sweet-spot velocity
-Maybe a combo of the previous two

Maybe those people are limiting themselves to shot angles where there bullet isn't being heavily stressed
-Maybe they are shooting more at distance where these bullets are hitting in a more sweet-spot velocity
-Maybe a combo of the previous two
^^^This sums up why CoreLoks were/are effective. If you are hunting in non LRH scenarios, they perform well. A hunter shooting with custom rig or even factory dedicated LR rifle is going to max their capability right down to ammo components which does not really include CoreLoks. Though the tipped CoreLok does look promising for mid range work.

Here's a pic of the tipped core loct that shows the boat tail. 308 150g is same BC .415 as Hornady SST. They're are very similar

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904_214810.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904_214810.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 67
I agree with this but can you explain why people have had great results in 7 mag, 300 win mag, 270 and the 243 with light cor lokt factory loads? If I'm close to 3000 fps I will use a bonded bullet

Because they won't blow up everytime when impact velocity is, say, greater than 3100fps.

Maybe they only blow up 10% of the time or even 1% of the time in that scenario.

Is that ok? That is a personal judgement decision.

I'm happy to use them. But I tend to just buy them in heavier bullets where MV <= ~3000 fps. And I typically choose to use Accubonds for higher velocities. "Good, one less thing to worry about."

Side note: 90% of my shot opportunities are <= 100 yds so essentially impact velocity = MV.
YMMV.