Another 6.5 question

Bait57

I am currently building a 6.5 creed on an AR platform. I have a Wilson Combat 22 inch, 1:8 twist, 6 groove barrel. This is a precision-built rifle for long-range shooting and hunting. I am specifically building this gun with the hopes that I can draw an Antelope tag this fall in WY.

I do not have any specific bullet in mind, so I thought I would ask here first before spending more money. I have read and wrote down alot of the info that I have seen already but most of that was for a bolt gun. Just wondering if there is much of a difference in the load data/ results in a gas vs bolt gun.

Thanks, for the info thus far.

You didn't mention whether you reload or not. I would try the Hornady Precision 143 grain ELD-X. I have yet to find a Creedmore that didn't shoot these well right out of the box.

I would opt for a 130gr in a 6.5CM, personally. But that is my preference. I would take the added speed and flatter trajectory over a bit more bullet weight for hunting. You won't see the benefits of the added weight and BC at hunting yardages enough to notice a difference. Maybe 910 for the 140 vs. 860 for the 130 to retain 1800fps and 1000ft/lbs minimum. (Where we hunt deer at)

I think gas guns need to be tamed down just a bit vs. a bolt gun pressure. But only your rifle can tell you this.

You didn't mention whether you reload or not. I would try the Hornady Precision 143 grain ELD-X. I have yet to find a Creedmore that didn't shoot these well right out of the box.

Sorry about that. Yes I reload.

Thank guys for the replies.To me it is far better to ask a question from those that have experience than starting fresh.

You might want to try an adjustable gas port on the rig before heading out on a hunt.
This way, you can find the load the gun likes, then tame the gas system down so its not overgassed.
Also, some 6.5's in an AR have extraction/ejection issues, with some mfg's resorting to twin ejectors. Not sure why this is the case, but check this out related to the AR boltface and standard ejector...

You might want to try an adjustable gas port on the rig before heading out on a hunt.
This way, you can find the load the gun likes, then tame the gas system down so its not overgassed.
Also, some 6.5's in an AR have extraction/ejection issues, with some mfg's resorting to twin ejectors. Not sure why this is the case, but check this out related to the AR boltface and standard ejector...

I have an adjustable gas block already. As I mentioned before I have the Wilson Combat barrel and Nickel Boron Bolt, and the SLR Titanium Series 8 Gas block.

I haven't gotten to put the gun together yet because the lower, upper and handguard are being cerekoted.

I am looking for ideas for different loads for me to try. I am going to try a few I am sure to find the right one. But I can say that yall have given me an incredible amount of info already and I really do appreciate all of it.

I have a 260 rem with a 22 inch up barrel .Its super accurate with lapua bullets of any kind .I need to try some other kinds of bullets just hard to when you shoot under an inch at 200 yards !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts