Another accubond question

My impact velocity was right at 2200. So the fact that I didn't see massive expansion follows your point that I am nearing the velocity where my
Bullet is unpredictable.

accubond exit at 702 yards
lastday08004.jpg

accubond exit at 532 yards
100_0279.jpg

the 1005 and 1350 yard exits looked exactly like this how can anyone say they don't work?
RR

RR....It could very well be that the .284 160 grainer is constructed a little lighter than the .308 200 grain?? I have never cut the two and compared them but that could explain the difference in our experience.....Rich

I honestly don't think you can buy a bullet that will give you the massive damage that you seem to seek at 1000 yards. the trauma you see is caused by the velocity of the impact. if you got a bullet to do the same damage at 1K you normaly see at 300 yards, at 500 it would blow the bejesus outta them.
I most of the time hunt deer on the timbered ridges and try to keep the shots at 800 or less, here is what I try to achieve.
I want the deer down as soon as possible, because I have saw deer be DRT in the scope, but still looked for almost an hour for them, when you get to where you think the deer should be, no matter how well you mentaly mark they're location, nothing looks the same when you get there, so I hold center shoulder, I get decent expansion and deliver all the shock possible at that range into the target.
you mention berger vld's, I shoot them in my 6.5 gibbs, last year I shot the yellow box 140's, they shot well, performance was on par with the accubonds as far as exits, this year I shot the orange box 140's, shot 2 8 pts with them at 457 and 493 yards, hit liver on both bucks because of the rut they never stood still for long, bullets hit a rib going in, neither exited, livers were gone, guts a bloody mess but not a good blood trail. Next year I'll go back to the yellow box, I want an exit hole on long range deer.
RR

I'm not trying to be a smartass but the gun looks like it weighs more than the deer and you might be just a TAD overgunned.

I am not really wanting a high level of devastation I just want the bullet to do the job. Thanks for the pointers. I guess by aiming for shoulder you make sure the bullet expands. What happens though if you are shooting yellow box miss the shoulder and the bullet doesn't expand enough. It seems like either way the key(as usuall) is execution.

First of all, so that I don't start a bullet war, "I like AB's". Having said that, I started making my own bullets because the 200 grain AB's fired from my 30" barreled 300 ultra at 3350' were little better than solids at 1000 yards on elk. An elk is not a deer, as your question was submitted, but that should cause MORE expansion if anything. I've done quite a bit of testing in various types of media as well and have found that 1800' is too slow for AB expansion unless you hit some heavy bone....Rich

+1

If I have to make a shot with any Accubond at extreme distance I will always clip the back edge
of the shoulder blade th assist in the expansion at lower velocities.

For extreme distance I prefer to use a ballistic tip and shoot behind the shoulder.

I am a big fan of the Accubond and recommend it for all but the longest shots.

All bullets have an ideal operating velocity range and the bonded core bullets need velocity
to perform properly.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I will start by saying that I have not shot the accubond. As far as the amax goes I have loaded the 140 in a 6.5/284, the 162 in a 7mag, the 155 in 308, the 168 and 178 in 300 wsm, and the 208 in a 300 weatherby. All I can say is that for deer sized critters and less they are absolutley devastating and they work at whatever range you can connect. I have never had a deer hit with an amax that took more than two steps. Of all those loads that little 6.5 140 grain still has the most devastation. If I was going to shoot anything larger than a mule deer I would want a different bullet but for whitetails they are plenty and all I load. Contrary to what I read on here all the time, Hornady does recommend them for thin skinned game.

Now I'm gonna ask about another bullet; Scirocco. Does this bullet open up at a lower velocity than the accubonds or is there no difference? I believe I have heard that the Sciroccos are of a softer make than the accubonds. It is advertised for the accubond and the E-tip minimum vel-1800fps. I am not able to find a minimum vel for the scirocco. Anyone have any intel on this?, meatyrem.

Now I'm gonna ask about another bullet; Scirocco. Does this bullet open up at a lower velocity than the accubonds or is there no difference? I believe I have heard that the Sciroccos are of a softer make than the accubonds. It is advertised for the accubond and the E-tip minimum vel-1800fps. I am not able to find a minimum vel for the scirocco. Anyone have any intel on this?, meatyrem.

I tested Sciroccos along with the Accubonds when I was testing my own bullets and in my opinion, they are one of the best as far as expansion and weight retention. The jackets are softer (I think pure copper). I'm not too sure about dependable expansion below 1800 but in my testing the AB's were not dependable AT 1800! The knock on the Sciroccos is they don't group as well as ABs in many rifles although I have heard of cases where they shot very well. If you get accuracy, shoot the Sciroccos. My opinion....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts