Another 6.5 Swede question . . .as if there couldn't be another.

STEEL SLINGER

Hello to all. This is my first post on LRH, but I have been a looooong time "Lurker". For the last few years I have come to fall in love with the .264/6.5 caliber . . .I've owned a .260 Rem that shot well, but was stolen out of my truck . . .a M96 in 6.5x55 Swede which has become a fun, accurate, LOVE of the 6.5 . . .a friend who has a 6.5x284IMP which I have got to play with on several kills, one being a ranged 698 yard Spring Bok in Free State, SA ! ! ! But the little Swede has kind of grown on me. Recently I came across a Remington 700 Classic in the 6.5x55 Swede and had to have it! I've wanted to stoke my M96 with some serious powder charges to see what my MAX potential would be from this cartridge, but I just didn't want to take the chance with the old action. Now with the 700 action I'm ready to test the limits! The rifle only sports a 22" barrel, so I know I probably will not see a huge jump in performance, but I would like to see what my hottest most accurate 140gr. load will be. I have read MANY 6.5 threads here and other forums about the 6.5x55 Swede, but I have a few questions that I have not found answers to . . . so, here they are;
1. Has anyone used/tried the Hodgdon Superformance powder in the Swede (or any of the 6.5 calibers similar to it) and if so what was your load and how did you like it? The Superformance is kind of the "middle of the road" between RL19, VVn160, H4831&SC and then RL22, VVn560, Win 780.
2. I'm also looking for anyone who has a Rem. 700 in the Swede who handloads and what is your pet loads? I have only found one other post on the net about this combination and it wasn't as fulfilling as I wanted . . .so, any other owners please chime in . . . even some of you with the Win. M70 Featherweights, I would like to hear your pet loads too.
I'm going to give this 700 a whirl . . .if it does not shoot like I'm looking for, then I just may rebarrel it to a 6.5x55IMP with a 24" tube. I want to get to that "magic" 2900fps zone without going to the 6.5x284. Not that there is a problem with the 6.5x284. I know. . ."but you're talking 6.5x55IMP. . . that is a change to the Swede case"! What can I say . . . ? ? ? Any thoughts or opinions let's hear them. Thanks

P.S. Sorry if I'm beating a bunch of old 6.5 material . . .but I just haven't read it yet!

Hello to all. This is my first post on LRH, but I have been a looooong time "Lurker". For the last few years I have come to fall in love with the .264/6.5 caliber . . .I've owned a .260 Rem that shot well, but was stolen out of my truck . . .a M96 in 6.5x55 Swede which has become a fun, accurate, LOVE of the 6.5 . . .a friend who has a 6.5x284IMP which I have got to play with on several kills, one being a ranged 698 yard Spring Bok in Free State, SA ! ! ! But the little Swede has kind of grown on me. Recently I came across a Remington 700 Classic in the 6.5x55 Swede and had to have it! I've wanted to stoke my M96 with some serious powder charges to see what my MAX potential would be from this cartridge, but I just didn't want to take the chance with the old action. Now with the 700 action I'm ready to test the limits! The rifle only sports a 22" barrel, so I know I probably will not see a huge jump in performance, but I would like to see what my hottest most accurate 140gr. load will be. I have read MANY 6.5 threads here and other forums about the 6.5x55 Swede, but I have a few questions that I have not found answers to . . . so, here they are;
1. Has anyone used/tried the Hodgdon Superformance powder in the Swede (or any of the 6.5 calibers similar to it) and if so what was your load and how did you like it? The Superformance is kind of the "middle of the road" between RL19, VVn160, H4831&SC and then RL22, VVn560, Win 780.
2. I'm also looking for anyone who has a Rem. 700 in the Swede who handloads and what is your pet loads? I have only found one other post on the net about this combination and it wasn't as fulfilling as I wanted . . .so, any other owners please chime in . . . even some of you with the Win. M70 Featherweights, I would like to hear your pet loads too.
I'm going to give this 700 a whirl . . .if it does not shoot like I'm looking for, then I just may rebarrel it to a 6.5x55IMP with a 24" tube. I want to get to that "magic" 2900fps zone without going to the 6.5x284. Not that there is a problem with the 6.5x284. I know. . ."but you're talking 6.5x55IMP. . . that is a change to the Swede case"! What can I say . . . ? ? ? Any thoughts or opinions let's hear them. Thanks

P.S. Sorry if I'm beating a bunch of old 6.5 material . . .but I just haven't read it yet!

WITH YOUR 6.5X55 YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT TO 2900 WITH A 140 GRAIN BULLET
ONLY ABOUT 2700 WILL BE YOUR BEST
LOOK AT THESE LOADS FOR THE 6.5X55
6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser - AmmoGuide Interactive

I couldn't open your link but the 2700 fps number isn't accurate. One of the big misleading issues with the 6.5x55 is that most of the recipes available are loaded to lower pressure levels to make sure that the old Mauser style receivers can still be used. If you load the Swede to modern pressures, which is perfectly acceptable in today's modern receivers, then you will get much higher velocities. And I don't think 2900 fps is out of the question depending on barrel length and powders used.

Scot E.

As luck would have it, I have a 6.5 swede on a savage 111. Mine is Now-a-days a 6.5x55 Bob Jourdan AI ( ackley never actually worked his magic on this case, so Bob did it according to P.O.'s formula ), but it started life out as a regular 6.5 x 55.

My rifle has a 26" tube so take these numbers with that in mind.

-- Using MagPro the best velocity I ever recorded through my chrono was 3060 with a 140gr pill, but this was a hot load I dropped due to relatively poor es / sd and 1.25" groups at 100.

-- Using H4831sc and a 140gr pill I was able to get about 2880 fps through the chrono with a 140gr gameking. These loads were warmish but not hellish. I could get 7-8 loadings on them before the pockets started to loosen up. I later dropped this load down to about 2810 fps and all was gold.

-- Using H4350 The 140s would get up around 2770 through the chrono, but my stick did not seem to like that load out. By this time I had went through a **** TON of effort, time, and components and so decided to stay with H4831sc. I won't bore you with why it was such a pain finding a good load.

Many here will tell you Reloader 22 is great, and to be honest it is Real Good! The thing is, it really is a little more temp sensitive than the H4831sc.

The AI will get you to 2900 ish without much issue unless you get unlucky and have a "slow" barrel, but the loads Will Likely Be Warmish.

Good luck sir,
Gary

With proper powders and 26-30" barrels, 140gr / 3000fps is completely doable on a modern 6.5x55. Vihtavuori even has official recipes now that nearly touch 2900fps, and that's the lawyer-proof version, so with careful reloading, you can expect a bit more.

(barrel lengths: 670mm = 26.4", 700mm = 27.6", 740mm = 29" )

65x55_swedish_mauser_skan.gif

With safe for 96 Mauser under 46,000 CUP loads of Accurate 4350 and 140 gr Sierra and Hornady bullets I get 2800 fps with the 29" barrel. 45 grs AA 4350, this is a max load according to the Accurate manual. Barrel length is your friend if you are a speed freak. :D

Thanks for all the info guys. . .I know I will be "velocity challanged" with a 22" tube. Like I said though, I'm going to tinker with it and see what kind of shooter it is . . . if nothing works out, it's going to get rebarreled with something longer and mybe to an Improved version. :cool: keep the info coming, it's all helpful . . .and thanks again.

I was able to cryno 2800fps with 48grains of IMR4831, 123grn match King from a 24" barrel. sub-1/4 M.O.A. @ 100 yards with a Swede M96 military action barreled for 6.5x55 B.J.A.I.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.