Ammo makers using SECRET powders

hemiford

I have heard that there is some ammo, Hornady 204 Ruger for example comes to mind,
that "You will not improve upon" performancewise. This is supposedly because they
are using some powder that is not available to the hobbyist.
?????
What could they be using ? Where are they getting it ?
I think I've heard such about Weatherby too.

I have heard that there is some ammo, Hornady 204 Ruger for example comes to mind,
that "You will not improve upon" performancewise. This is supposedly because they
?????
I contacted Hornady when the 204 Ruger first came out and they told me that they powder they use in the 204R is close to W748.
We use H4895 with excellent results. Our hand loads are much better than factory Hornady Ammo.

The ammunition companies can go mix master using this that and whatever using non canister lots to achieve velocity and pressure, we can only dream about. They have technicians that spend their time doing nothing but creating loads to meet the criterion as laid out in the specifications. They use freight car loads of powder to achieve their results and while it may start provisionally as X powder seldom is it all purely X powder.

Canister powders available to reloaders are typically intended for a wide range of component combinations. Manufacturers can buy non- canister powder that's optimized for a particular load. When you're buying tons of powder at a time powder manufacturers will work with you if you want something different.

?????

?????
Trade secrets! IIRC, Elmer Keith did some duplex/triplex (2-3 different powders - stacking them, not blending). I am pretty sure there are other hobbyists that does it too.

An article in duplexing/triplexing nitro propellants,

https://www.gunmart.net/ammunition/reloading/powders/reloading-mixing-powders

Last edited:
Years back I talked with the ammo guy of operations at Remington. They don't use the
same off the shelf stuff. They go bulk and load to spec.
That's why we as reloaders should have the advantage. We can stretch the spec. To fit are rifles chamber, throat, twist and barrel length. I doubt theirs pixy dust magical powders.

I'll bet the "kaboom" threads over the next few weeks will be interesting after that linked article! 🤣
That's why the author ended the article, "But I finish as I started: duplex and triplex loading techniques though fascinating are potentially dangerous and I would not recommend anyone to go there: CAVEAT EMPTOR!"

When people start blending powders...

42c8bd2db59ac95477fbd776d2ffe59a.jpg