Ammo advise for 300 win mag

kielwhite

Hey guys did some looking and couldn't find a lot of info. Wanted to know what everyone's opinion was on grain size and brand for my 300 win mag. Mostly for axis deer around 300 yards. Some of these bucks where I live can eat my 270WSM 130 grain bullets and run 400 yards looking for more of KO blow ammo with the 300. Aloha - kiel

Run 400 yds w/ 130gr 270 WSM? did you mean Rhino? ;)
I have seen a pile of Elk shot with a 130 gr. out of a 270 Win. and none went anywhere near 400 yds when shot where they are supposed to be. If the wsm isn't working I would go 416 Rigby min.

Last edited:
Run 400 yds w/ 130gr 270 WSM? did you mean Rhino? ;)
I have seen a pile of Elk shot with a 130 gr. out of a 270 Win. and none went anywhere near 400 yds when shot where they are supposed to be. If the wsm isn't working I would go 416 Rigby min.
😂 idk something about the bigger bucks can eat the 130 bullets And the does and smaller bucks crumble just over following blood. My friend shot one with his 300 wsm then I shot it again with my 270 and then he shot it once more for it to go down all shoulder shots

If you are reloading. I have a load with these in a 300 WM and they are accurate and easy to load. Have not chrono'd this one though. Not for long range, but at your 300 yards, fast and flat...

Ballistic Silvertip 180gr bullets made by Winchester is a good load. Uses a coated Accubond bullet in a Winchester nickel plated case. Not great for reloading, but awesome factory offering.

Cheers.

Well I'll be the odd guy out on this. Most of the time I'd say go with a 180-200gr. But speed kills and kills fast. I've always found a small very fast bullet kills faster than a big slow one. That being said sometimes you need the bc or weight to hold together on tough skin animals.
Axis are not those and thin skinned. That being said I would find a 150 class bullet and get the speed up. My fastest killing rifle for deer sized game has been my 257 Roy shooting 115 gr.
If you reload definitely go with hammers if not look at nosler bt in the 150gr range.

Hey guys did some looking and couldn't find a lot of info. Wanted to know what everyone's opinion was on grain size and brand for my 300 win mag. Mostly for axis deer around 300 yards. Some of these bucks where I live can eat my 270WSM 130 grain bullets and run 400 yards looking for more of KO blow ammo with the 300. Aloha - kiel

I have been shooting a 300 with 180grn for many years on elk and wild boar and all I can say If you hit them in the right spot, they won't run 400 yards. Maybe 50. I use sierra spire point boat tail with 71grains of H4831. That will take down a moose.

For the 300 you just need to see what your gun likes- something in the 180-215 grain range.
I myself prefer the Hornady 180 grain SST in a .300 Win mag. This bullet has a B.C. of .0480 and prints very well ( under 1/2" MOA @ 100 yds. remembering that this is a working rifle and not a safe queen ). Couple this with 72.9 grains of Alliant RL -22 powder and you are good to go.( compressed powder load , MV average = 2882 FPS )
I have used this recipe successfully in the harvesting of several fine animals.
OBTW the ranges were between 75 yds. - 375 yds. on Elk , Moose , and Alaskan Bear and all were clean one shot kills, however some were taken under less than ideal weather conditions
This load has proven itself for me with optimal bullet expansion and an average weight retention of 78 -87 percent for recovered bullets !

Last edited:
Well I'll be the odd guy out on this. Most of the time I'd say go with a 180-200gr. But speed kills and kills fast. I've always found a small very fast bullet kills faster than a big slow one. That being said sometimes you need the bc or weight to hold together on tough skin animals.
Axis are not those and thin skinned. That being said I would find a 150 class bullet and get the speed up. My fastest killing rifle for deer sized game has been my 257 Roy shooting 115 gr.
If you reload definitely go with hammers if not look at nosler bt in the 150gr range.
But will a 150 gr @ 3400 fps be a noticeable difference, over the 130 gr @ 3400 fps the OP is using, on small deer?