Aluminum Tipped Bullets from Goergia by Greyghostt

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long are the 212's?

Have they worked in a 10 twist?

Hello,

I shot them in a 10" twist 300 win mag Remington Sendero special. It was just an arbritrary loading to see if they would stabilize. They are stable at my location and out of my gun. The group was .375" + or - and if I tuned it, no reason that it could not be improved upon. They are 1.721" long. I will be tuning them for my rifle later this week/early next week. I chose to start with the 180s and then go to the 212s.

James

Hello,

I shot them in a 10" twist 300 win mag Remington Sendero special. It was just an arbritrary loading to see if they would stabilize. They are stable at my location and out of my gun. The group was .375" + or - and if I tuned it, no reason that it could not be improved upon. They are 1.721" long. I will be tuning them for my rifle later this week/early next week. I chose to start with the 180s and then go to the 212s.

James

Thank you.

With an estimated .8+ bc for the 212g at sea level, that should be an immediate hit for the 10 twist 300RUM crowd. I'll be very interested to see what kinds of measured bc's and loads folks come up with and the MV's, SD's, ES's with powders like US869, Retumbo, RL25 and H1000. Sounds like a 1:9 or better is in order for that 220, but what a fantastic bc that thing should have. Does he have plans for a heavier .308?

Refresh my memory, please, on the relationship of air density to bullet stabilization.

Hello,

Bullets that will stabilize in higher air density may not stabilize in lower air density. I noticed this when I went from sea level to ElPaso several years ago with my 6mm. At sea level I could shoot the 90gr Noslers and in ElPaso the heaviest one I could get to stabilize was the 70 grain nosler.

We tested the 220s in an 8" twist.

This morning we tested from the opposite direction on the seating depth and added one additional grain of powder to see if we could increase the performance by increasing pressure with more powder and then subsequently lower it down by having the bullet farther away from the lands.

What we found out is that the accuracy node bandwith for this bullet in my gun with my powder is -.060" to -.080" off the lands. Loads in this area shot into the same hole.

All other bullets I have tried over the years have had a much narrower bandwidth to produce single hole groups.

They are very easy to tune, do not foul my barrels and are very consistent on paper. It is like finding the end of the internet.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Twist

I am old enough to claim a terminal case of CRS--meaning that I have the twist program installed in Excel but do not remember where I got it from--- so with that as given just to be supportive in your excellent bullet project, I ran the 1.721" length, 180gr, MV of 3,100 ( 300wsm ) and .308dia numbers in that program and came up with a twist required of 1-7.5" for SF of 1.30. Dropping the SF to1.25, gives a twist of 1- 7.6". A custom from Kreiger or other first line barrel makers would give your fine bullets a real chance to outshine everything else.Send me a pm if I may assist. Best wishes, Overbore

I am old enough to claim a terminal case of CRS--meaning that I have the twist program installed in Excel but do not remember where I got it from--- so with that as given just to be supportive in your excellent bullet project, I ran the 1.721" length, 180gr, MV of 3,100 ( 300wsm ) and .308dia numbers in that program and came up with a twist required of 1-7.5" for SF of 1.30. Dropping the SF to1.25, gives a twist of 1- 7.6". A custom from Kreiger or other first line barrel makers would give your fine bullets a real chance to outshine everything else.Send me a pm if I may assist. Best wishes, Overbore

Thanks for the calculations. We tested the 180s in two different 10" twist weapons and it produced fantastic results. On the 212, it stabailized them as well. However, on the 220 model, we had to use the 8" twist Kreiger to do the testing. The Kreiger and the 220s were absolutely AWSOME.

The most interesting part of all of this testing is that the Wichita Silhouette pistol in .308 with 10" twist barrel shot the 180s into a bughole so small, that you could not put a .338 caliber bullet into it without ripping the target. I cannot explain it, but I am not complaining.

As far as I am concerned, I am very confident on the 220s and the 180s in the twists that we have tested them in. This upcoming week, the 212s will get a lot of attention at different velocities and seating depths to seek out the best combination.......

Preliminary calculations indicate that the 220 loaded to peak performance in the 30/378 (32" Kreiger) will surpass the kinetic energy of both the 265s (.770 BC) and the 280s (.878 BC) (both loaded to peak performance in a 338 Lapua Improved with a Hart 30" barrel) at about 800 yards. Not to mention trajectory and wind drift.

If you guys don't have an .30 8" twist barrel yet, you need to order a good one ASAP.

More to follow later in the week........

James

What is the longest distance that you have tested stability of the bullets?

What is the longest distance that you have tested stability of the bullets?

400 yards on the .338s

The 30s will be tested at 400 and beyond this week and for velocity confirmed BCs.

I am definately not worried about the 180s in a 10" twist as they produced one of the best groups I have ever shot much less with a pistol. They grouped well out of the factory 300 Win mag sendero as well.

Same for the 220s out of the 8" Kreiger in the 30/378.

I want to get some bughole groups out of the 212 as well with the 10" twist before they start gettng shipped out to 10" customers..

FWIW, standard twist calculations and formulas cannot be used on this bullet since as the sectioned photo indicates, that lead (Pb) is not the only metal in the core. I will just leave it at that.

James

Almost forgot, I can definately tell you that the 220 bullet/pencil will not work out of the 10" twist.

James

Just got home and sent off my money today for the 180's. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival...
icon10.gif

i tested the 265's against the 250 SMK's on Sunday at 700 yards. for each test i had a piece of particle board/gallon jug/ particle board/jug/jug/jug. my limited testing with these at 300 and 700 gives me the impression they act like a Berger.they'll punch through the first board and then all hell breaks loose. got some pix, gonna send to GG tp post with his results.

What does the 250 SMK do at those ranges? Have you ever done that test with an Accubond....or similar bullet. Just wondering from a comparison point of view, not judging :)

thanks,

edge.

i tested the 265's against the 250 SMK's on Sunday at 700 yards. for each test i had a piece of particle board/gallon jug/ particle board/jug/jug/jug. my limited testing with these at 300 and 700 gives me the impression they act like a Berger.they'll punch through the first board and then all hell breaks loose. got some pix, gonna send to GG tp post with his results.

Hello,

Compressed particle board is awful tough. What I would do and will when the wife gets the milk jugs is this:

Get some carpet remnants and wrap a carpet remnant around three milk jugs. This will simulate hide on both sides of a hydraulic mass. This is the best expansion idea I could come up with in say 30 seconds.

James

Hello,

Compressed particle board is awful tough. What I would do and will when the wife gets the milk jugs is this:

Get some carpet remnants and wrap a carpet remnant around three milk jugs. This will simulate hide on both sides of a hydraulic mass. This is the best expansion idea I could come up with in say 30 seconds.

James

I doubt it is any tougher than the front shoulder of a Elk

the stuff i used was 7/16's thick and i could use it for all the tests. as said, i thought it would be like a rib or leg bone.i've shot 9 of these into combinations of catalogs gallon jugs, magazines and plywood. they're very similar to a berger and the Sierra might be just a bit tougher.

GG is going to test the 280's against the 300SMK's. my guess is the 300 will penitrate a bit farther.

as a foot note, i chrono'd one of these, it was 2770. my goal was to start them out as slow as possible to simulate distance hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts