AI tests; Fluting a barrel reduces its accuracy

Right away I see a problem with their test as it relates to long range hunting. The long range hunter does not fire groups at game. I won't even fire a group of three shots without letting the barrel cool before the third shot. A five shot group would take me all day. The idea is hit the game on the first shot. A second shot, if necessary, should finish the hunt.
This was for a psr contract. The guys using them may not have that option while at the office. It was great to read Frank Green's posts as it was his product that didn't change (bartlein). The fact that the buttoned bore grew after the fluting explains at least one solid reason for the accuracy disparity.

This was for a psr contract. The guys using them may not have that option while at the office. It was great to read Frank Green's posts as it was his product that didn't change (bartlein). The fact that the buttoned bore grew after the fluting explains at least one solid reason for the accuracy disparity.

I have often wondered about that. I would like to get twenty barrels from a reputable company. It would be nice to have ten bored, fluted, then rifled. At the same time have ten bored, rifled, then fluted and see if there is any difference in the two groups.

I don't understand how they were able to "remove the fluting" from the barrel. I would like to see that process.

Kidding aside, I shall like to re-pose my earlier question. With all other things being equal, was the fluted barrel larger in diameter than the unfluted barrel? It would necessarily need to be to be equal in weight. If it was larger in diameter, my understanding is that it would also be stiffer.

So, was it larger in diameter? If not, the testing, in my view, can go right out the window.

It's my understanding that cut rifling barrels do not react to heat in the way buttoned barrels do.

That could also explain why my button-rifled heavily-fluted #3 Criterion (factory Weatherby) Accumark barrel started caving in with tight spots after a couple hundred rounds and the accuracy went out the window...

Very interesting...

I don't understand how they were able to "remove the fluting" from the barrel. I would like to see that process.

Kidding aside, I shall like to re-pose my earlier question. With all other things being equal, was the fluted barrel larger in diameter than the unfluted barrel? It would necessarily need to be to be equal in weight. If it was larger in diameter, my understanding is that it would also be stiffer.

So, was it larger in diameter? If not, the testing, in my view, can go right out the window.

Agreed!!!

It's my understanding that cut rifling barrels do not react to heat in the way buttoned barrels do.
Cut barrels have no stress induced by rifling whereas buttoned barrels see pressure which is stress. Cryoing hammerforged and buttoned barrels has a very well documented positive effect on accuracy where as a quality cut barrel shows little improvement. I'm sure if you torqued a barrel to the action to 200#s and then cryoed a cut barrel it would shoot to the same hole cold to hot better than the non cryoed set up to the same torque.

Krieger(cut) cryo treats all thier barrels.
Many other barrel mfgs are using cryogenics for stress relief prior to machining Tac Ops cryos the 4 groove Kriegers after they torque the action with great results

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts