AI awp moderator

Gerald89

Hello ,

Has anyone got any views about moderators? I am about to take delivery of An AI AWP in .243 and maybe have a T8 suppressor fitted. Will the thread have any effect on the barrel accuracy without suppressor? Some people I have spoken to say they have accuracy problems with them fitted.

Thanks Jeza

Jeza, you tend to find that accuracy improves slightly with a properly fitted moderator. wether its the moderator acting on the barrel, or just the fact that the rifle is quieter and more comfortable to shoot is open for discussion, but a moderator is a good idea. It is now under health and safety a required item if shooting is involved in your job. all the FC Rangers are getting mods fitted and i guess the military will eventualy go this way to, also the police.
The Reflex is the best of the bunch that where tested by the commission, it has its limitations, but it works well. Have a competent gunsmith thread your barrel and fit the moderator. Border Barrels will do it for you i would think. Just threading your barrel wioll not harm the accuracy any.
You might notice a change in point of impact from a non threaded barrel to a threaded barrel with thread cap, but it will be minimal. make sure the thread cap is tight. you will notice a change of impact between mod fitted and not fitted, due to the effect on the harmonics of the barrel.you can note the difference and adjust for it quite simply.
Best Regards Pete

[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to show my ignorance, but what is a AI awp moderator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Accuracy international tactical rifle

Moderator = suppressor = silencer = can

con on my 223 only drops POI about 1MOA at 100yds. other than that, no diff.

JB

your AI must be stinging you. hope you bought the biathlon sling to lug it around, or maybe a pallet lifter instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just kidding though. you might also want to consider the Jet-Z suppressor as well. it's very very good and smaller than the T8.... bit more expensive though.

poi change should be less than 4moa on a well fitted mod. don't leave it on after stalking or shooting as the condensation will do wonders to your bore.

cheers

derek

Thanks everyone! Just imagine buying your dream rifle instantly modifying it and finding out you have made it 10% or so less accurate , thats what I was worried about!

I shall go ahead and thread.

Derek , Yes it is a stinger but lifes too short!
My L200 bipod extention will help with the wieght problem during some situations I recon.

Cheers Jeza

hi jeza

i have an AE. i didn't think the aw was worth almost double the price.

it would shoot sub 1/4moa no worries. have since sent it off to be rebarrelled to 260 rem to stretch out a little further with it. i don't think you will be dissappointed with yours. the biathlon sling is a must for AI rifles though.

derek

Derek , No you are probably right about the price part verses how well I will shoot it etc.The problem is the .243 win barrel comes as standard on AW model and with our brit regulations .243 is best allrounder for me ( cant use .308 for vermin control uk anywhere can we? ). You say you are going to change you barrel is that an AI barrel? Have you seen the AI video where they change the barrel with minimal tools on the firing line at the range?

Regards Jeza

hi jeza

i am just ditching the 308 tube that's on it. border barrels are doing the new one for me. 30" 290neck heavy varmint taper and fluted and bead blasted in 260remington. it'll be used mostly for f-class so the extra weight and length will only help accuracy and velocity.

thought about doing the switch barrel thing, but i have another 308 and would never probably switch anyway. the AI barrel changing gear is seriously on the steep side too, i did think about it.

good luck with yours. i am pretty sure you'll love it.

derek

Hi Jeza,
I have fitted literally scores of T8's, whenever I have heard of someone having a problem there is usually a common denominator. The gunsmith has fitted a small thread on a heavy barrel i.e. 1/2 x 20tpi, T8's come in a good range of thread sizes most of the larger ones are metric which may explain why UK gunsmiths are unwilling or unable to fit them.
The other reason for inaccuracy is that the crown has been damaged whilst fitting, I now recrown all barrels after threading as 90% of the factory crowns are imperfect even before threading.

Cheers stag ,
I will make certain I get the right size for the barrel .

Is there anything obvious to look out for with the damaged/imperfect crown?

Does the same thing happen if you damage the moderator crown or is that less of a problem (I have seen them gather what looks like burnt powder on the end after a few shots)

Jeza

hi jeza

there is no crown as such on the moderator. if your bullets are touching any part of your moderator, you have serious problems.... holes in the mod are bigger than the caliber so it doesn't touch the can.

Jeza,
I have the AWP in 308. Excellent choice. You've just bought the toughest, most accurate rifle on the market /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Follow Derek's advice and get AI biathlon straps; I just lugged mine around the Highlands and noticed it less than a normal rifle on a normal sling...biathlon straps work! Also, I don't bother with a normal slip, just eagle industries scope and muzzle cover; when you have to crawl, drag it butt first beside you, crawl,drag it level, crawl, drag it level etc. AWs are strong enough to drive in fence posts, they don't even notice a bit of bumping in the mud (sounds a bit like a bird I once new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
Let us know how the muzzle threading goes; I just can't bring myself to let someone mess with such a superb barrel! [JR of Border Barrels, are you reading this -what's your opinion?]

Stag,
What's the largest diameter thread available for the T8?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.