Moderator/Suppresser/Siliencer Question

Roy- I got one on my 270. It was made for a 308, and I intend to get Kevin to thread a few more barrels for too. a 22lr, and a 223 to start. It is a long wait but I went the finger print route and had no trouble with local law enforcement at all.

I believe a suppressor that is built to be acurate will have a noticeable differance in tolalance. also I think when you buy a suppressor it is regestered to a single gun not multiple ones.I have one for a 338 whisper and I`m looking at a 338 edge and was told that you can`t do it legally.
robster

The tax stamp goes on the suppressor, not the firearm. You may use it on several firearms.

Here is a question then when looking at my form 4 tax stamp it is listed as a specific calibur so can you legally use it on multiple calibures?
robster

Does the suppressor affect the accuracy of the rifle. I am looking at putting one on my 308 Rem P700. In addition, which brands are considered top suppressors. I found a company in AZ called AWC. Do they make a good product??????

Suppressors don't affect accuracy in a negative way. Remember the bullet never touches the inside of the suppressor so there is nothing to contact.

They improve accuracy if anything else. The added weight to the muzzle of the weapon acts as a counter weight, so you'll have less recoil which in turn produces less flintching, you'll get back on target quicker. You won't have to worry about muzzle blast which will reduce flintching caused by anticipation of the blast. So it's a win, win.

Some people say that it influences velocity. It doesn't.

Another Very good company that I can attest to is AAC (Advanced Armament Inc) Advanced Armament :: Home I have one of there 7.62sd cans and I've shot side by side with a work rifle with an AWC can on and bystanders said that mine was noticibly quiter and it's a quick detatch can, vs a thread on. If mine were a thread on it would be even more quiet. The AAC cans are cheaper, lighter, have a better dB rating and better made.

xdeano

Does the suppressor affect the accuracy of the rifle

I would expect it's weight hanging on the end of the barrel to affect barrel harmonics and therefor you may have to re-tune your load -- assuming you added to a rifle that already had been shot.

Yeah it will change your point of impact from having the can on vs off. I've had no problems with it changing my harmonics much, but you can tell it does a little.

xdeano

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.