Affordable starter/donor rifle

I have 3 Weatherby Vanguards. One was rebarreled to 7 mag. The other two are super accurate (270 and 308).

Not sure what they cost now, but they used to sell them for $399 w a scope (probably not great glass!)

I put McMillan stocks on two of them and a take-off stock I found on the net a few years back.

If you could find a used one, you will have some $ left over for decent glass.

Good Morning!

Here's my plan, and I need you suggestions.

I'd like to buy my son an affordable "starter" gun that he can hunt with for a few years. He's 10, this year he killed his first deer with a Ruger American in 6.5CM. My plan is to upgrade the rifle over the years for major milestones (new barrel at 16, new stock at 18, new scope at 21, other bits/pieces along the way for stellar report cards or seasons).

My request from you folks is suggestions for an affordable starter rifle (I don't necessarily care about which cartridge, we can get into that later, although I like the idea of .270). He will be hunting mule deer, elk and black bear. Which starter rifle provides the easiest modularity and is affordable to get him into his own rifle? Initial thoughts would be any of the Savage 110's for modularity, but that's not what I would necessarily consider affordable for a kids gun. Would the Axis II be as modular?

Thanks everyone. If you have links to threads with builds off an affordable platform, please share.
As someone who bought a cheap SKS as my first hunting rifle at a young age I have to go against the grain here. AR 15 variants and calibers have come a long way and are a decent affordable and easily modified option. From adjustable stocks to easily swapped out uppers and garage friendly modifications the AR checks all the boxes. And this comes from one of John Moses Browning's great nephews.

Another vote for Tikka. Tikka actions are so consistent that many smith's offer shouldered prefits for them, and the actions are butter smooth. Then again Tikka barrels are good enough you may not even need to change barrels, especially on a hunting rifle. Just upgrade the stock and MAYBE the trigger and you're set. As another suggested, get good glass. You can turn an okay rifle into a phenomenal rifle with good glass, the opposite is not true.

Another vote for Tikka. Tikka actions are so consistent that many smith's offer shouldered prefits for them, and the actions are butter smooth. Then again Tikka barrels are good enough you may not even need to change barrels, especially on a hunting rifle. Just upgrade the stock and MAYBE the trigger and you're set. As another suggested, get good glass. You can turn an okay rifle into a phenomenal rifle with good glass, the opposite is not true.
Let me add that there are several good glass options now that are still relatively budget friendly, doesn't have to be a nightforce. For example I have an athlon midas tac on a hunting rifle and it's fantastic. There are several other options also.

Another vote for Tikka. In the past you could find deals on cleaned used Tikka on local sale ads - but now they are snapped up quickly for the actions. You can swap the Tikka barrels yourself (first factory barrel can be a bear) and the factory triggers are good and easily improved with an aftermarket spring. Always Tikka factory barrels on eBay, etc. from swaps.

Another vote for the Savage; budget/DIY friendliness is hard to beat and would make an excellent project build for you and your son. @Country Bumpkin I have budget builds in .270 AI with a 30" 1:8" Lilja barrel, .264 WM with a 26" 1:7" X-Caliber barrel, and my latest is a .257 WBY with a 22" 1:7" McGowan barrel for suppressed shooting/hunting. All of them with Savage 110/111 LA actions and have been a shooter. Good luck and have fun.

Ed
Awesome, I don't suppose you have any of these featured in a "build thread" do you?