Help me build an affordable custom rifle please

Elkwonder

If I were to decide to build a couple custom rifles at an affordable price, which components would you recommend? I live near a VERY good gunsmith that will do the work at an affordable price. He said he would put together any components I choose, so I thought I would get the thoughts of you guys that have done many build before.
I was thinking maybe
Remington stainless action
Bartlein or Brux barrel
Bell and Carlson medalist stock???

what components would you choose, and where would you get them at the best price?
Thanks for your help

If I were to decide to build a couple custom rifles at an affordable price, which components would you recommend? I live near a VERY good gunsmith that will do the work at an affordable price. He said he would put together any components I choose, so I thought I would get the thoughts of you guys that have done many build before.
I was thinking maybe
Bartlein or Brux barrel

what components would you choose, and where would you get them at the best price?
Thanks for your help
I built 7 rifles between 2013 and 2014, all by the same smith. Here are my recommendations.

700 actions w/ BDL bottom metal setups
Bartlein Rem Varmint contour barrels 26" finished length (or longer for magnum cartrdiges)
Timney triggers
Stocky's Long Range Composite stocks
Vortex Viper HS-T scopes
EGW HD 20 MOA bases
Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings

where is the best place to come up with the stainless action? I found them for 415 delivered. is that pretty decent?

where is the best place to come up with the stainless action? I found them for 415 delivered. is that pretty decent?

That's fair for stainless. You'll need BDL mag setups, which you can order from Brownells. I've ordered a few. You will also need to order stainless BDL action screws separately. The actions won't come with them. Brownells sells those, too.

Not sure what caliber/cartridge you're building, so here's SA, LA, and Magnum LA.

700 SHORT ACTION ADL-TO-BDL KITS | Brownells
700 LONG ACTION ADL-TO-BDL KITS | Brownells
700 LONG ACTION MAGNUM ADL-TO-BDL KITS | Brownells

Action Screws

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...inless-steel-triggerguard-kits-prod19670.aspx

You will need stainless recoil lugs, too. I like PTG, myself.

PTG Recoil Lug Remington 700 Tapered Shank .200 Thick SS

Well, I agree with MudRunner up to a point.

I don't know what you find appealing about a stainless action so I'd recommend you stay with a trued factory 700 action w/ BDL bottom metal setups
I too would select a Bartlein barrel but I don't know what type of shooting you intend to do or what caliber you prefer so I hesitate to recommend the contour.
Timney triggers
Stocky's Long Range Composite stocks
Vortex Viper HS-T scopes
EGW HD 20 MOA bases
Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings __________________

Depending on how you intend to use the rifle, talk to your smith about cutting a muzzle brake into the barrel. It takes a bit of time to set up the mill for the job but, IMO it's much easier to tune a load to an integral muzzle brake than something that's hanging on the muzzle.
Now go for it.

I was thinking maybe
Bartlein or Brux barrel

Thanks for your help

IIWY, I'd establish a realistic budget first, then adjust accordingly.

I really like building precision budget builds but each one is a little different as to which direction to go, most of it revolves around the chambering and what kind of feeding a guy wants, then goes to the stock. I don't go for budget for a WSM the same way I would for a RUM, or a DBM feed vs BDL style.

That's not bad; Bud's (Gun Shop) has had them in stock lately, also.
However, you can get a trued stainless or blued action, ready to go, from Northwest Action Works Northwest Action Works Custom Rifles, Barreled Actions, and Components for not much more. In addition, they sell barreled actions, and offer discounts if they use your action or barrel. Going that way might offer a little more peace of mind, unless you have absolute confidence in you "affordable" gunsmith's skills.

IIWY, I'd establish a realistic budget first, then adjust accordingly.

I really like building precision budget builds but each one is a little different as to which direction to go, most of it revolves around the chambering and what kind of feeding a guy wants, then goes to the stock. I don't go for budget for a WSM the same way I would for a RUM, or a DBM feed vs BDL style.

These guys know where it's at and BNG puts the process into further detail.

1. What do you intend to chamber it in? Canyon shooter or handy hiker?
2. Single slinger, ADL, BDL or Mag Fed?
3. What kind of stock? Wood, composite or chassis? Thumbhole, pistol grip or traditional style?

What is your 'smith going to charge to true a STD Rem 700? Do you require a modified extractor (Sako/M16)? Is the cost going to be efficient enough to forgo about a lower cost custom action?

We kind of need to know the end goal before we can advise on how to achieve it.

t

Elkwonder,

Without having to divulge any further information you might want to read this topic first:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/diy-long-range-rig-176162/

It's an interesting take on a no frills DIY rifle built by the shooter with off the shelf parts. The action body is made by Stiller, the bolt by PTG but private labeled for and sold by Shilen. He uses a standard aluminum bedding block rifle stock.

Enjoy the options!

Just buy a factory Remington M700 stainless rifle. Put a BC stock and Timney trigger on it and be done with it.

Music to a gunsmiths ears!!

Lol

I know this is a long range forum, so a custom may be the only way to go for that. However, I'm only hunting with mine out to 300 yds. I've been lucky, I guess, to have factory rifles that shoot groups that I can cover with a quarter at 100 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts