Help me build a rifle!!!

Rockchuck27

Hello All,

Long time lurker here and have really learned a lot from all the collective knowledge here and hoping to get a thread started on a potential build I would like to do.

I want to put together a mountain hunting rifle that is easier to pack and wield than my current 11 lb setup while keeping weight down and setting it up for future use of a suppressor. I have been looking at 7mm options as that is what I have the most experience with, but open to other calibers too.

i am a lefty and am thinking a 20 inch barrel so I don't get too long with future suppressor use and I want to run hammers out of it to get away from lead in my meat. I am thinking of carbon fiber stock like ag composites or mcmillian edge fill along the lines of a game scout style stock. I dont have a preference on internal, bdl, style, or detachable bottom metal, but think it is an area i can save weight on.

I have been looking at several actions, but like the looks and price of the bighorn origin and like the idea of being able to use shouldered pre-fit barrels I can assemble myself. I have assembled AR's and built up hot rod muzzle loaders and re-barreled savages, but want to build something nicer than a savage.

My max range would max range on elk would be 800 for me with some rock/steel shooting beyond that for fun/practice.

I am looking to keep the build cost (not counting the suppressor or optics, etc) somewhere in the $2000-3000 range and try to hit a bare rifle weight in the 6 to 7 lb range. I have a Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18 I will be topping it with once done. i figure it will put me in the 8 to 9 lb range scoped weight.

So here are my questions:

1. Is my weight goal realistic in that budget range? I know Ti action can save a decent amount of weight but at additional cost I am trying to avoid.

2. In a 7mm based cartridge, Is a 20 inch barrel capable of sending the hammers fast enough to perform reliably on elk to 800 yards? If not are there other calibers that are capable in the 20" barrel i should consider? I am open to standard cartridges or wildcats, but like the simple approach on a wildcat along the lines of fire forming only like the sherman max lineup for general ease of prep and first foray into a wildcat.

3. With future plans for a suppressor and considering the weight goal, does a carbon wrapped barrel present the best blend of weight savings/enough meat on the bone to have it threaded for a suppressor vs a light contoured steel barrel?

Any ideas, experiences, advice, or questions are most welcome.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts