Advice on purchasing my first set of Binos

giannid

So I've been hunting for most of my adult life (25 years or so), and have never really need a good set of binos. Most of my hunting is in Ohio for whitetail. This year I have a new property to hunt and can see for 5 or 600 yards. Most of my years have been spent hunting thick areas where 100 yards is a long shot. I use a Leica 8 power range finder when I hunt but this season I could've really used something better. What do you guys recommend I get? Me and some friends are talking about going out west for a hunt next year. I don't want something huge but also don't want to limit myself. When I buy something I usually research the heck out of it until I give myself a headache. I'm not opposed to buying something used either. I'd like to stay under $1000. We have a muzzleloader season coming soon and would like to have something. Thanks

Cabela's Euro HD / Meopta Meostar B1 HD (same binoculars) in 10x42.

They won as best in F&S and Outdoor Life a few years ago, and I picked up a used set shortly thereafter. The best binoculars you will find at $1000, and will compare to some twice the price.

There is a seller on eBay who sells the Meopta ones for under $1000, but you can find used ones for less. Be sure you get the HD version.

The Alpens compare very well against any of the brands. The warranty is basically no fault for life.

Just so you know, basically all the higher end Chinese binos like Vortex, Alpen, etc. are made in the same factories.

The Rainiers could be had for a grand and compare with $2000+ European optics like Swaro's. The Rainier line is made in Japan.

Alpen Optics Product List

Alpen Optics Rainier Binocular model 77ED

Anyone else on the forum using the Alpens? I've never heard of them. I wonder how they compare to the Cabelas HD?

I'm probably the only one LOL. I don't know anyone with the Cabelas. Most of my buddies use Vortex and a couple guys have Swaros. My inexpensive Alpens do compare well with Vortex costing 30% more.
There are some reviews on line if you use google.
Like I said above, a lot of these "so-called" brands just import from the same Chinese factory. The appearance is just changed.

If you look at Bushnell, Burris, Vortex, etc. rifle scopes, they are pretty much made in same factories as well.

I purchased a pair of ZenRay prime hd this year and have had great luck with those. They have great edge to edge clarity and can be had for around $500 for demo model. I ordered the 10x42 and felt that was to much magnification for my hunting applications and called them and they swapped me for a pair of 8x42 free of charge! Excellent customer service, would highly recommend for under 1000 bones

I would recommend the vortex razor hd 8x42 for your use and price range. The 10x is nice out west but the 8x works much better for me in thick timber. Whatever you decide on once you have them you'll probably never hunt without them again. Also, resale value on the vortex is generally pretty good and the warranty service is top notch.

Tract. Toric line. Japanese built German glass. No dealer straight from manufacturer

Cabela's Euro HD / Meopta Meostar B1 HD (same binoculars) in 10x42.

They won as best in F&S and Outdoor Life a few years ago, and I picked up a used set shortly thereafter. The best binoculars you will find at $1000, and will compare to some twice the price.

There is a seller on eBay who sells the Meopta ones for under $1000, but you can find used ones for less. Be sure you get the HD version.

Meostar 10x42 B1 Binocular HD Demo 467781 for sale! - EuroOptic.com

I would highly recommend you go with a set of something like this or a demo/used pair of Swarovski slc's or el's, or some of the top of the line zeiss. Leica's are excellent but their warranty isn't doesn't transfer so I'd stay away from used/demo Leica's.

The chinese made binos can be decent, I have a pair of zen rays for truck binos, but once you try a pair of really good zeiss/leica/swarovski/meopta's you'll understand why they're a notch above. I have a pair of 15 year old 10x42 swarovski slc's that are my primary hunting binos and I'll never part with them. If they were to be stolen I'd replace them with the same the next day, they're that good.

Binos are one place where it's better to buy quality to begin with, you'll be glad you did.

Another vote for Meopta Meostar.

I have these and will put them up against any of the big name brands. They are very crisp and clear.

Good luck with your decision.

I'd give the Toric's a try if I could find a pair of the 10 power ones. They're not in stock and they don't expect them for a few months. Looking for a pair of the Cabela's/Meopta hd model but they are hard to come buy used. All the used ones I found are the non HD models. Also found some used Swarovski SLC binoculars in my price range but it seems like they're so many generations of them floating around out there. Am I safe with any of the Swarovski SLC's or should I stay away from the older ones?

I take about a week of glassing at stores before I buy glass unless a set of $2k binos shows up for $500. I take optics charts and take the glass outside or I don't buy it. Binos are a huge investment and if you are hunting properly where I live you will be looking thru them 80% of the day. Crappy glass sucks.

I'm running the cabelas euro/meopta 8x32 and they are fantastic. was a serious upgrade to my 15year old pentax dcf-sp's. I prefer the 8x over the 10x.

As an el cheapo option the leupold Yosemite 6x30's are amazing for less than $100. Seriously.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.