My first set of Badger rings & have question on how to mount

fourinone

Hi; I hope someone who is real good at mounting & lapping scope rings will take the time to answer my questions on how to properly mount the Badger ring on a Near base. My first question is I notice there is some play in this set up due to the slots being wider than the cross bolts in the rings...Should the rings be slid forward until they contact the forward sidewall of the slot? Or should they be centered in the slot as well as possible? My scope tube is about 1.184" DIA. and I'm not sure of the true DIA. of the Badger rings and wonder if I should get a piece of trued round stock to lap it in? If I should lap it in what size should be the round stock? Should it be the same as the scope tube or -.001 -.002 -.003 smaller than scope tube? I noticed that when the rings are just hand tight on the rail that the scope will not just lay in it flat, but if I leave the nuts just a little loose, the scope can be pressed down all the way till flat in the bottom of the rings. Being this is my first time with this type of ring / base combo I want to be sure to do it right the first time. Thanks to anyone who has done this enough times to know how it should be done and takes the time to share the info with me...or all of us.

Okay.....first push the cross bolts all the way forward in the slot and then tighten to 65 INCH pounds. That way when the gun comes back under recoil it will move the rings and scope together "as one" and won't break something.
Two....DO NOT lap Badger rings- they are as true 30mm as you can get and lapping them will void the warranty. Mount the scope up and tighten the caps down to 15 INCH lbs of torque.

You can go to www.badgerordnance.com and get Marty's complete mounting instructions there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.