Adjustable Objective or fixed

Jeff In TX

Getting ready to pick up another Burris 4.5-14X32 Short Mag scope for sons .243 Featherweight. He loves the one I have on my rifle. I have the Short Mag with the adjustable objective and he's leaning towards the same scope without the adjustable objective. This is purely a hunting rifle with the longest shot being maybe 300 yards.

Would you recommend the version with or without the adjustable objective? Pros and cons for each?

I wouldn't buy an OA scope for that purpose. AO fixs the problem we have when resting our face on the cheekpiece, which unless custom doesn't fit very well for accuracy shooting. Since its a short range rifle the amount of paralax error should be small regardless. When a 300 yard shot presents itself, the shooter usually takes enough time to correctly set up behind the rifle and tends to center in the scope which lessens the error even more. We have a tendancy to instantly point the rifle at the game THEN decide if its legal to shoot or not. Do we overcome that instinct and stop to adjust the AO, usually not. For target and prarie dogs certainly get the AO.

My 2 cents
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.