50mm or 56mm objective?

McDewbie

I plan on buying a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x rifle scope, problem is i cant decide which one to go with 50 or 56 mm, they are both the same price, so that isn't an issue. I know that a bigger objective lets in more light therefore better in low light situations, but how much more? and is the added height that is needed worth it? the gun i am getting to go under it does have an adjustable comb... as I'm writing this im being swayed towards the 56... but still I would greatly appreciate your input, as Im am exceptionally green to LRH and everything it entails. Also, any input on the available reticles (NP-R1/2, MLR and Mil dot, although im not very partial to the mildot). oh yeah, there website doesnt say which pane or lens the reticle is on, any help there would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Evan

That particular NXS comes in both. The F1 is in the FFP. (your going to pay dearly for it) I went with the 56 myself. Better to have and not need, then need and not have.

I like the NPR-2 reticle. Its not quite as busy as the NPR-1 to me. Those reticles are set up in MOA rather than mils. Personal preference on the math, but I prefer MOA calculations.

yeah i definitely dont have 2400 to buy a FFP scope from them, any idea how wide the actual has mark is? like how it translates to MOA? Ive tried to call and email but I get either a busy tone or an email saying they are getting way to many emails, any help would be great.
Thanks, Evan

The 56mm is a bit more bulky than the 50mm. My rig is bulky any way so I went with the 56.

If it were a carry rifle the 50 would definitely be the choice....

Its 2 MOA on the vertical axis and 5 MOA on the horizontal.

*Roy, I agree on the 50mm for the carry rifle, but prefer the MK4's due to weight on mine. NF products are tanks and sit on my dedicated "perch guns"

it depends on the use If you are going to pack it from the truck to the bench and back to the truck the 56 would be OK If you plan on packing it around with a sling and hunting with it I would go with the 50 I personaly wish they would make one with a 44.

Opnions are like butts everybodys got one

yeah, ive pretty much decided to go with the 56. thanks again for all the input, but for what im using it for, target and the odd hunting trip the 56 will be great. 270win, to build off your little saying, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks. (youve probably heard that though)
Thanks, Evan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.