Adjustabel Objective AO

Greg Duerr

I'm looking to buy a Leupold VX3 4.5x-14x 40mm Matt Fine Duplex $529.99 without the AO 599.99 With.

What is the advantage to having the Adjustable Objective over not having one. My VX-II 6x-18x has one and I just leave it set at 200.................

So convince me one way or the other, because I flat out dont Know??

Greg

Depends on your type of shooting. The longer the range, the more useful it is. If you shoot at 200 yds all the time and have the discipline to center your eye in the sight picture, then you don't need AO. If you're frequently shooting a different ranges greater than 200 yds, you might need it.

Used to be that any scope over about 9 or 10 power came with an AO. Recent years, they've began making some that are 12, 14 ect without them. Don't ask me why, that's a question for the marketing crowd.

Personally, I wont buy a scope without an AO or SF unless it's a low power scope intended for use only out to about 300, maybe 400 yds.

Most scopes are designed to be "parallax free" at a certain distance. They come from the factory preset for somewhere between 100 and 150 yds usually.

What this means is that if you're shooting at 50 yds and the scope is parallax free at 150....you will have to have your eye perfectly centered in the field of view or the crosshairs will "wobble" back and forth as you move your eye back and forth. Parallax; It's like looking at your speedometer from the passenger side vs the drivers seat. The speed isn't changing, but it appears to be.

An AO or SF allows you to set that "parallax free" distance to your liking, you are not limited to the factory preset 150 yds. Very helpful with high powered scopes, long distance, small targets, and very close distance too.

just look through the center of the scope and you won't have any parallax at any distance. plus, the AO on Leupold scopes has a terrible reputation for moving the POI. a side focus is far superior mechanically.

I talked with Darrel Holland and he sugjested the Leupold 4.5x-14x LR 30mm tub with the side focuse...............I will go with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts