Adjustable decapping rod?

tribb

Can someone please explain to me how an "adjustable decapping rod" allows positioning of the neck sizing bushing to only size a portion of the neck? What's a decapping rod got to do with the neck bushing? See below 👇 Thanks Tribb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-144603~2.png
    Screenshot_20240121-144603~2.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me how an "adjustable decapping rod" allows positioning of the neck sizing bushing to only size a portion of the neck? What's a decapping rod got to do with the neck bushing? See below 👇 Thanks Tribb
Well It stumped me. It came right off of midway web site!!!!

Let's see if I can explain: The Redding Type S Bushing die allows you to adjust how tight the bushing sits in the die body. If tight it resizes the whole neck, as you back off it allows the bushing to move up within the body and resizes less of the neck. As you make this adjustment it changes the length of the decapping rod since it's all connected. Once you decide on how much neck you want resized you can adjust the decapping rod in ensure the primer is properly removed.

My die is full length, just describing the bushing adjustment and how it relates to neck sizing and decapping rod length.

Last edited:
It's simple. On a full length bushing resizing die, the decapping rod is adjustable up and down which allows you to set the decapping pin depth. Additionally, when you want to change bushings, the top
of the die screws off so you can change bushings. The decapping rod obviously screws down thru that top cap and runs down thru the bushing and out the bottom for decapping. On the section of the rod that runs down thru the section of the die where the bushing is, there is a nut. That nut can move up or down that section of the rod. So it can be screwed down to sit on top of the bushing and hold it firm in place or it can be backed off the bushing to allow for a certain amount if float by the bushing. It it is screwed down all the way tight against the bushing, the full length of the neck gets sized. As you back off the nut, and the bushing starts to float, less and less of the neck gets sized.
You can thank Speedy for this.

It's simple. On a full length bushing resizing die, the decapping rod is adjustable up and down which allows you to set the decapping pin depth. Additionally, when you want to change bushings, the top
of the die screws off so you can change bushings. The decapping rod obviously screws down thru that top cap and runs down thru the bushing and out the bottom for decapping. On the section of the rod that runs down thru the section of the die where the bushing is, there is a nut. That nut can move up or down that section of the rod. So it can be screwed down to sit on top of the bushing and hold it firm in place or it can be backed off the bushing to allow for a certain amount if float by the bushing. It it is screwed down all the way tight against the bushing, the full length of the neck gets sized. As you back off the nut, and the bushing starts to float, less and less of the neck gets sized.
You can thank Speedy for this.
Great ! Very Good explanation! My Thanks to Speedy and to you

Let's see if I can explain: The Redding Type S Bushing die allows you to adjust how tight the bushing sits in the die body. If tight it resizes the whole neck, as you back off it allows the bushing to move up within the body and resizes less of the neck. As you make this adjustment it changes the length of the decapping rod since it's all connected. Once you decide on how much neck you want resized you can adjust the decapping rod in ensure the primer is properly removed.

My die is full length, just describing the bushing adjustment and how it relates to neck sizing and decapping rod length.
Thank you sir and thanks to all who responded. Tribb

This is why most people say with a bushing die, that nut is screwed down to just above the bushing so that when the die is reassembled, you can shake it and just barely hear the bushing rattle. That way it allows self centering of the bushing over the case neck and does not full length size the neck which may cause donuts. Precision reloaders like to only size the portion of the neck that actually holds the bearing surface of the bullet. That could be half way to 3/4 of the way down the neck. Some expensive fl dies actually have a " window " cut into the side of the die so you can see exactly how much of the neck is being sized.

My question to you all, is there a de capping die that does not have an adjustable recapping length? Even my very old sizing/decapping dies from RCBS has adjustable length.

Last edited:
But Speedy figured out why not enlarge the top portion of the die to be able to drop a bushing in as a way to set neck/bullet tension.
And now you know the rest of the story.