Adj Objective necessary?

Jason

I Have a 7mm/08 which I am going to have rechambered to 7mm/08 improved. I would like to use it to shoot out to 600yds. Do I really need an adjustable objective? At what range do they become essential.
P.S This forum is great, Thanks to everyone.

Not gospel but what I "think" I know.

Fixed power and scopes w/o AO are set to be parallax free at a specific distance. Having said that I've made some long shots with a Leupold VX II 2x9 but not over 425 yards.

With the Super Sniper 10X and 16X and the Weaver Tactical the AO is a must at ranges up to 1K, which is as far as I am able to shoot due to range length.

My short answer would be, yes.

HTH

NEED? it will depend what magnification you shoot at.

They HELP at any magnification for precision work as they will eliminate errors due to parallax - they really come into their own at HIGH magnifications where the depth of field (not width of field, aka FOV) reduces considerably (i.e. you'll loose focus) and ESPECIALLY close in!

Most decent top end scopes have some form of adjustment where logic demands it.

If you were going to shot (as an example) ONLY at 600yds however, yes I'd consider a fixed lens and have it reset to be Parallax free at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.