ADA is anti LRH

Topshot

What I consider long range is likely not what many of you guys consider long range. But I shoot within my abilities and continue to push the boundaries of my limits so they slowly extend. Why I am here then? Because there is a lot of useful info and varied opinions.

Those that choose not to listen to opinions they disagree with don't grow their knowledge.

Like they say; The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

And yes division amongst hunters and shooter does nothing to help our cause.

Some wise words Byrnesy,

In the old days and still today for some people. Hunters would guess the distance to an animal then hold over a guessed amount to take a long range shot.
This method was rough as guts. Yet if it comes off the hunters normally would brag about the acheivement to their mates for week afterwards. If it didn't come off they kept quiet for fear of being bagged for taking a rash shot at a beloved game animal.

Today the wise hunter facing the same shot would know that the shot is within his abilities. He would measure the distance with a rangefinder, dial up the required elevation and then take the shot knowing that the shot is not rash or fool hardy.

This is the true benefit of todays knowledge and equipment for those that choose to make the most of it.

It is a win for the hunter and a win for the game animal as it faces less chance of being wounded and lost.

I have seen quite a few blokes turn up a local range asking is it a 400 or 500 yard range? No mate it is 200. Little wonder they stuff up in the field.

These blokes you refer to wouldn't happen to be ADA members by chance?

Anyway jokes aside and let me relate how much those two guys (one an ADA member and the other a GDSA member) both who profess to know so much about LRH really know very little to nothing at all when it comes to ballistics and LRH.

I personally went to a rifle range where the GDSA deer stalkers club asked the long range shooters (members) of their club to assist the other stalkers into teaching and sighting in their rifles so that they could confidently take shots at deer out to 300 yards.

From what I personally witnessed at the range from the stalkers efforts really astonished me as to their lack of knowledge and understanding of zeroing their rifles and at which range to zero their rifles.

By the way I am a member of the GDSA deer stalkers club so please do not see my comments as being someone with an axe to grind.

I am merely writing this to show and relate the truth of what happened and to reveal some truths about those persons making these accusations and derogatory comments on LRH.

There was a prominent and very well known GDSA deer stalker who couldn't hit the side of a barn with his 30-06 rifle at 100 yards and so he always advocated that you should get in close until you see the whites of the eyes before you shoot the deer

Well before this range day was organised another member and I had his Remington 700 30-06 rifle rebuilt with a new stainless steel barrel, action trued and pillar bedded into a Boyds stock

We then went and developed a 180 grain load that would put three shots into a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I mention only three shot groups because it has a thin barrel.

We sighted his rifle to print 2" high at 100 yards so that he could confidently rely upon the rifle to hit roughly dead on at 200 yards and that he had a point blank range of around 250 to 260 yards which to many not so good shooters is a long shot.

Anyway this prominent stalker rings me up a few days later to tell me that he had to reset the zero back to 100 yards because the rifle was shooting too high at 100 yards?????

I informed him that to zero the rifle 2" high at 100 yards basically gives him a point blank range of around 260 yards and that there is no need for him to work out how much hold over to make up for a 250 yard shot. Simply take aim and squeeze the trigger.

This was his comment to me ...but hang on...isn't that why you zero a rifle at 100 yards

Does this start to tell you something.

This prominent stalker (he now associates with one of the 2 guys mentioned earlier) just showed he has a poor understanding of long range shooting and how to set up a hunting rifle.

Well here we have our 'Eddie the expert" who knows f..rk all about LRH going about with his bum chum expressing his concerns about LRH shooting and the resultant wounding of many animals.

For his information and for yours this prominent stalker seems to have forgotten that he himself; yes this very same expert has wounded and lost 6 sambar stags in one year alone. All of his accurate wounding shots were taken at ranges of around 25 yards and less.

Further to that; this stalker and his side kicks advocate that 300 yards is the maximum everyone should be restricted to.

Well let me again inform all forum members reading this that this very same prominent stalker went on a club shoot and that he took a 420 yard shot (his own words and his own estimate) at a small stag and from his video footage that he replayed on so many occasions it showed us the shot hit the stag low just under the heart but did eventually kill the stag.

What this prominent stalker did appalled me....
He did not have a range finder so then how could he honestly perform an accurate shot with his 420 yard estimate...yes estimated range so who would be the one wounding a deer
also remember his rifle is zeroed at 100 yards and so his bullet would be dropping around 14" below point of aim.

He also took a shot far beyond that sancrosanct distance of not shooting beyond 300 yards that he is pushing the authorities to legislate

What a hypochrite to have the audacity to make comment on LRH when he is far worse than the ones he condemns

I say...let him without sin cast the first stone....

It's all about " power " since the Government allowed the clubs to have power over gun owners in general it has gone to their heads and they are drunk on power and control. That's why the Government let them run the range reporting and licence testing etc . They knew that the Hitlers would come out and make life hard for gun owners . It's working .
I get more **** , trouble and anxiety from my local range than I get from the Government .
I went to my range more often when it was not compulsory , now I only go when I have to . The fun is beeing sucked out of the sport by our own people .

It's all about " power " since the Government allowed the clubs to have power over gun owners in general it has gone to their heads and they are drunk on power and control. That's why the Government let them run the range reporting and licence testing etc . They knew that the Hitlers would come out and make life hard for gun owners . It's working .
I get more **** , trouble and anxiety from my local range than I get from the Government .
I went to my range more often when it was not compulsory , now I only go when I have to . The fun is beeing sucked out of the sport by our own people .

BB I see what you are saying above but I think it comes down to a much more fundamental human trait than power......GREED.

A lot of people just aren't satisfied in facilitating the operation of a branch etc for the benefits of the members or helping others, they want everything.

You see it in their language too, i.e. when they write "my club"etc not our club.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.