Organised hunt of NZ chapter of LRH

Well now you might have to count me in also...the 7wsm should be up and running by then. Lower North island location also. Steve knows where to find me...:D

I will be keen, if I have something to make noise with.
Im building an Edge & my 7mm Wsm is getting a new barrell.
But there is no way I'm gunna cart my .416 B far from a ute :D

I haven't had any firm responses from anyone yet. I am going to be going over Labour weekend, leaving Friday night, back Sunday afternoon.
I will be going to either the Godley valley or Mt Cook region. I will have at least 2 spare seats in my truck if anyone else wants to come.

Stu.

hey stu
i will certainly be away on my instructing trip so i wont be able to come on those dates. shame. was looking forward to it.
im going to try head up the godley before then. hopefully i can get a trip in.

Hey Stu, I got a week off at the end of October, dates are at work so will confirm tomorrow.

Keen on East coast Tahr and then have a crack at wallabies for a day if I can get a property and also try for a salmon in the canal on the last day.

I will get massive browny points if I can take a Salmon home to the good lady!!!

well fellas i managed to get out for a tahr hunt over the last 5 days. went up the godley. not too many animals seen but i did manage to get 2 11.5 inch bulls with the 308. one at 200m and the other at 125m. my mate got his first tahr. a 9.5 inch bull. we shot two animals that were bedded down together at the same time and they both just dropped. was great. and got it on video (though think my bro managed to delete it tho, gutted.)
had the chance to have a shoot on a tahr that was the biggest animal i have ever seen. was at 330m and i didnt take it. wanted to get closer to make sure i didnt mess up the shot.
so regretful, i really should have taken the shot since i know that im capable of that type of shot. and in perfect conditions too..grrrrrr. ended up doing some insane mountaineering that made sumit rocks of cook feel like a cake walk.
now im going to have to do some serious practice so im comfitable to 500m and then i wont pass up on such an amazing animal again. anyway have fun on the trip. gutted i cant come along and meet some of you.
cheers
Rob
aka Foreign.

Hey Stu
I will be down there the week after now, am timing a hunt with the pickup of my boat the following weekend.
Might pick your brains after your hunt to see what height the Tahr are at. I will only have two days for Tahr so not stacks of time.

Went down to Mt Cook with a friend. No tahr in the first valley we went into on the Saturday. Sunday we glassed the hills beside the Tasman Valley Rd. Found 4 bulls. Climbed up to one but climbed too high and he winded me.
On the way back down the other three had fed further round into an area I might be able to retrieve one. Shot a bull at 334 yards, unfortunatley it fell into an area I could not retrieve it from.

Great weather though.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.