Action Strong Enough

Yep the recoil of an unbraked 460 is pretty much unbareable it gives you an honest to goodness case of flinching.
You typicaly end up with a bad headach sore shoulder and cheek and a new respect for grand dads old feather weight
M-70 in 30-06.
In all honesty , with my training I would much rather use a well built M4 AR or well built Rem 870 12 ga as a backup gun for THIN skinned game , bears , big cats and people but for thigs like Rhino and Cape Buffalo you realy don't have any other choice but a realy big chunk for monolythic lead of something of that sort.
I still not sure that the added recoil over the 458Win and 458Lott are realy going to do you much good especialy if you know that a poor setup getting the gun to your should will likly break somthing in you body

That mauser action looks great. The problem is that I'm a lefty and have yet to see a LH mauser action.

On another note, why don't you put a brake on that 460 wby? I'm not recoil shy, but I see no reason to shoot a gun with almost 100 lbs of recoil.

I originally I wanted a 458 lott, but I heard it is a pain to reload for a straight case.

The 458 Lott would be a better option in my opinion. If you go over seas on a hunt and your ammo does not arreive for an unforseen reason you probably cant buy any ammo in 45 cal except 458 Win Mag and you can use it in the Lott without any trouble. It also allows you to use any left hand action that was designed for the 375 H&H. I know controled round feed can help but if you practice you will not need it. I have never double fed a bolt action rifle but have not been charged by dangerous game either. A left hand controled feed action might be hard to find i would look at a Rem action and the Lott. The straight cases are not hard at all to load for they are easier because you do not have to wory about shorteneng the headspace. Just size the cast then expand/flare the case mouth. Seat primer, measure powder. Seat and crimp the projectile. No hassles. This is a better option in my opinion and also place a Viass type brake on the end. Also have the extractor replaced with a new one to make sure it is not fatigued. Also the straight cases feed very well.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I bought my 460 used , the former owner had it built to his specs. I'm gonna eventualy have a Vias brake put on it, that just doesn't rank real high on my list of things that need to be done, and one day probably rechamberd to 378Wby or somthing along those lines.

I heard that you have to seat the bullet perfectly or you have problems with the extraction.

Although nearly everything I've read on the subject says that the 458 lott is THE cartridge to get for dangerous game. Likewise, I've consistently read that 460 wby's or 450 dakotas are overkill due to the excessive recoil.

I've also read that its best to unscrew the muzzlebreak when in the field so you don't lose hearing after the shot and possibly not hear an animal charging from the flank or rear. Sound to me like a pair of those earphones that let you hear everything then shut down upon a loud blast would be the solution.

I'm now leaning toward the 458 lott, but still investigating a 416 rigby as well.

Lastly there is a company in New Hampshire that makes mauser actions "Empire Rifles", has anyone heard of them?

I know a guy that has a rifle built by Empire and he says the quality is on par with a David Miller built pre64 Winchester which is top quality.

I'm not sure what type of critters your trying to stop but like it has been said the excessive recoil may cause a problem as far as hitting what your aiming at. I would gladly give up a couple thopusand pounds of energy for a quick follow up shot and a chance to double what energy I have.

That is why I'm debating now between the Lott and the 416 Rigby. The 416 has less energy, but less recoil as well.

I'm going to check on how muzzle brakes are viewed on dangerous game hunts. If brakes are a non-issue then it will be the Lott.

[ QUOTE ]

I've also read that its best to unscrew the muzzlebreak when in the field so you don't lose hearing after the shot and possibly not hear an animal charging from the flank or rear. Sound to me like a pair of those earphones that let you hear everything then shut down upon a loud blast would be the solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi if you fire a large calibre big game rifle you will not hear much even without a brake. Hearing the charge of another animal you would not hear it with or without the brake. As you stated get some good quality ear mufs that are noise activated and wear them all the time while hunting they will actualy help you find the game as they intensify the noises around you. Leave the brake on as it will give you a much faster recovery if you require a seccond shot.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
That is why I'm debating now between the Lott and the 416 Rigby. The 416 has less energy, but less recoil as well.

I'm going to check on how muzzle brakes are viewed on dangerous game hunts. If brakes are a non-issue then it will be the Lott.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 416 Rgby and once owned a 458 Win and my opion is if you can't do with a 416 then a 458 caliber ( 458 Win,458 Lott,460 Weatherby,etc.) aint going to do it either,If you need more just move up to a 105 that ought to do it

Buckmaster
Breaks are not illegal any where that I have heard of, certainly not Africa. Some PHs don't like breaks but I never have heard of one turning down a client over a brake.

In the world of DGR the frontal area of a projectile is a major factor in lethality meaning that if every thing else is equal a 458 cal will out perform a 416 cal… For a good review of this topic read A-squares reloading manual Any Shot You Want
DR B

I hear that too about brakes being illegal in areas or certain PH's not allowing brakes.

I aslo calculated recoil on the 458 lott and 416 rigby. Seems that if I use a 450 grain in the lott then recoil is about the same as the ribgy with a 400 grain. With a brake it doesn't matter anyway.

Now I just need to figure out what action...
I'd like a pre-64 win, but I'm left handed and they only come in right. Other than Empire Rifles, all the custom actions are push feed.

Remember if there is any failure on your or your rifle's part the guide usualy will have a large bore double or very reliable bolt action to follow up with in any unforseen situations. So is control round feed required? i dont know only you can make that decision. Also if you go with a 458Lott the actions you can use are a lot more than the larger Rigby diameter bolthead.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.