Will Savage 110 action be strong enough?

Kroberts

Hi, I'm new to long range shooting and this forum. I'm working on turning my deer hunting gun into a long range rig. It's a Stevens 200 in 243 win with a homemade wood stock, and a Viper PST 4-16 scope. Right now I can put 58 gr zmax bullets into half gallon milk jugs to 725 yards with 4/5 shots, after that this setup gets iffy on hits. but am working on getting a B&C stock, SSS trigger and 28" shillen 243ai barrel for it so I can hopefully use 105 gr bullets to do the same thing to 1000 yards.

My question comes in that my hunting gun is going to become a long range gun so I am looking to build a cheaper large caliber gun to replace it for out to mid range hunting, as in about 200 yards with iron sight. Or 500 if I decide to put a scope on it. The chamberings that I am thinking of are the 416 Taylor or the 416 RUM. Or atleast something within these classes of catridges. I know the power is not needed but I enjoy recoil and you never know when an elephant or rhino will escape from the local exotic animal auction. I want to build it on a Savage 110 action so that I can assemble everything myself and save some money on it while also knowing how the gun is put together and how it works. So will the action be strong enough or should I go with a Rem 700 or similar action and have a gun smith assemble it.

One of my friends and myself have lots of experience in woodworking between the two of us so I plan to build a laminated walnut stock for the gun, whatever action I go with. And will probably install a second recoil lug if I go with the larger ultra mag size catridge.

Any advice on the build welcome. Thanks for any help.

Kyle

The action is strong enough, but I wouldn't use a 416. If you wanted a medium range big bore I would go 338-06 or 375 h&h. The 338 would fit your mag box better and a lot better choices in bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.