Accurate Chronograph

I have both and find myself about to get rid of the Labradar. The Achilles heel of what would be an otherwise game changing product with the Labradar is the difficulty aiming the unit and shot detection which results in shots that are not picked up. This is a recurring problem and a fatal flaw for a gadget costing over $500.00. Most of us shoot 3 shot groups during load development, and failure to detect most if not all of them while setting the thing up was a deal killer for me. What's worse is that the factory is aware of the problem and states that they have no plans to fix it. Straws in the aiming notch, framing squares, and trial and error do help and work for some, but I wouldn't buy another one until our Canadian friends man-up and fix the problem. When you call to complain they seem not to really care. The Bluetooth smartphone app is also poorly engineered, full of bugs, and works correctly about 1/2 of the time. The POI shift and the need for different pads for some barrel contours with the Magnetospeed is a fact, but not NEARLY as frustrating as the sensing, aiming, and shot detection errors of the Labradar. There are also aftermarket products that will keep the Magnetospeed blade sensor off the barrel for less than the cost of the Labradar device. The Magnetospeed is always reliable and very accurate. I had to use the middle (of three) sensitivity setting during setup, but since then, the unit has never missed a shot and is the go to unit that I always rely on. Sorry Labradar, it was yours to lose and you totally blew it.
Thanks for your frank views on the Labradar. I was on the fence between that and the Magnetospeed. Our range locally baffles are low and interfere with the labradar from what I have been told. The lack of support after purchase is the death bell for a product like the LabRadar for me.

Hello All,

I reload for my hunting rifles, and would like opinions on what is the most accurate chronograph. Is the Labraradar hype true? I will be using it to chronograph reloads while developing new loads for the 338 RUM and 7mm Rem Mag. Will be using it primarily for velocity ladder testing.

I currently own an old pro chrono that is over 15 years old, and want to upgrade.

I had a Lab Radar and a Magnetospeed Sporter but I currently have and use a Magnetospeed V3. The Lab Radar was great except when the range was busy (which mine is all the time). I would have issues with shooters at the benches next to me or having the sensitivity down too far that shots got missed. In the end I sold it because it frustrated me.

I had a Magnetospeed Sporter and it was fine, it did its job but it wasn't all that great and I had the Lab Radar at the time and it was kinda a toss up to which I would grab. Then I let a friend borrow it and he quickly proceeded to shoot it. He paid me what it was new in store and I took the money and bought a V3. I loved it so much that it wasn't long after I decided to ditch my Lab Radar.

At first I thought I messed up because now I have something changing POI of my bullets with no alternative option but when I do load development I don't care what my velocity is until after I've found the load that groups well. My reloading process has one extra step now of velocity verification after an node has been found but I'm not going to complain about loading an extra 10 to 20 rounds for the velocity verification.

My opinion (for whatever it's worth) is: Magnetospeed V3 > Lab Radar > Magnetospeed Sporter > Optical Chronograph

I think Lab Radar or Magnetospeed will both serve you well. Even though the Lab Radar frustrated me to no end on some days I would much rather have that along every single range day than have to deal with optical chronographs again. Having to wait for cold ranges to address almost every issue is enough to drive anyone crazy.

I love my Magnetospeed. It has work great for me for the last three years. There is a chance that it does change POI with lighter weight barrel. But, for my purposes that does not mean much. I do all of my load development with the Magnetospeed and then once I have found my load and do some fine adjustments without the chronograph to get it where I want it.

Exactly. And think about how much time you have at the range to fool around with things. You want to concentrate on consistent shooting (hold, resistance to recoil, eye alignment with scope, all that) as much as possible more than messing with the tool. Bet even with the MS, as easy as it is to use, I feel the urge to check the tightness and forward position of the bayonett every other shot.

I really liked the concept of using radar and on a private range with all the time you want, or using someone else's that's already set up it would be fun. But I still work, so my time is limited for this.

Before LR or MS, when I did have more time, I had some fun doing the following experiment- I sometimes checked ballistics (of a known accurate load) by shooting a group with the Chrony 15' from the muzzle, and then another with the Chrony 100 or 200 yards away in front of the target. It's really cool to see the velocity drop at those short but significant distances. And I was surprised at how accurate my ballistic App calculations for velocity actually were. It gave more data points that added to what I was seeing when shooting. Don't forget, bullet drop is not just dependent on velocity, BC, hum, elev air pressure, temp, etc. but by local conditions. I have shot at more than one range where the bullets magically don't drop as much as they should. WTH?? Oh! Its the breeze coming off the berms at the interim distance, or an updraft of warm air going up a hill!

So called 1 shot "velocity ladders" looking for a "flat spot" to load to are total garbage.

Spot on. Too many factors affect a shot to count a single shot as a data point. I don't even think 3 shot groups are sufficient, really. My ascending charge tests are always with loads of at least 4 rounds, all speed checked. You will see flat spots in the recorded velocities as you move up the scale.

Thanks for your frank views on the Labradar. I was on the fence between that and the Magnetospeed. Our range locally baffles are low and interfere with the labradar from what I have been told. The lack of support after purchase is the death bell for a product like the LabRadar for me.
Labradar support is superb. I had a small problem, emailed them describing it, and they sent me a replacement unit immediately with a RMA label for the return item. And the person who said "save yourself $500 and get a chrony"...well a Chrony is $120+ and a MS V3 is what, $380? You do the math.

The MS has given me a very high degree of confidence in my loading techniques by not giving questionable readings like the Chrony sometimes does leaving my to scratch my head. When I started annealing for example, I saw my SD consistently drop, with some loads consistently in low single digits.

A little off topic but the 3 best additions to my reloading routine in recent years are- MS V3, RCBS Chargemaster, and Annealeez+Tempilaq. Each a low-mid budget item, but like I say, single digit SDs don't lie.

I've been using a Pact XP (originally a Model 1) since 1991. It's been, at times, a love/hate relationship. When it's working correctly, it is fantastic and very consistent. However, where I am now is out in the woods - literally! - and the sun angle can be critical. Too low and the trees block it and it won't work. Cloudy days actually work the best! If it registers, the data is usually good, although every once in a while it'll go nutzo & give me a reading that I know is way off... like 2700 for a .22 LR! That's usually an indicator that the sun it getting too low. I upgraded to the IR unit several years ago, which should work in the dark, however, I've not had good luck using it. I suspect that the angle of the IR reflectors has to be "just so" for it to work.

I wouldn't mind the MS but I have too many firearms it won't work with, smaller pistols and such, so the alternative is the LabRadar. I'd like to try one out but since my shooting lane has trees on either side, it could be problematic. Plus the cost... whew!

I guess I'll stick with my Pact until I'm forced to go another way!
Cheers,
crkckr

I've been using a Pact XP (originally a Model 1) since 1991. It's been, at times, a love/hate relationship. When it's working correctly, it is fantastic and very consistent. However, where I am now is out in the woods - literally! - and the sun angle can be critical. Too low and the trees block it and it won't work. Cloudy days actually work the best! If it registers, the data is usually good, although every once in a while it'll go nutzo & give me a reading that I know is way off... like 2700 for a .22 LR! That's usually an indicator that the sun it getting too low. I upgraded to the IR unit several years ago, which should work in the dark, however, I've not had good luck using it. I suspect that the angle of the IR reflectors has to be "just so" for it to work.

I wouldn't mind the MS but I have too many firearms it won't work with, smaller pistols and such, so the alternative is the LabRadar. I'd like to try one out but since my shooting lane has trees on either side, it could be problematic. Plus the cost... whew!

I guess I'll stick with my Pact until I'm forced to go another way!
Cheers,
crkckr
I've had 2 PACT's, and Oehler, and now the Lab Radar. Both the PACTS and Oehler rely on the bullet shadow and if the sun or day light are not right forget it. also if you use either if these two on an indoor range forget it, florescent cause the problem. The Lab Radar works under all weather conditions and indoors.

I've gone thru more than my share of problems with the Pact, believe me. Like I said, a love/hate relationship. When it works, it's great, when it doesn't... grrrr! The urge to shoot the miserable thing at times has been overwhelming! The first one I had (Model 1) worked well 99% of the time but started giving me a lot of problems when I left sunny CA and moved to MO (aka, the State of Misery!). I finally upgraded to the IR unit but was never able to get it work. So I was limited to shooting between 1pm up to about 4 during the winter. Summer a bit longer but the trees can still make things iffy. Then I started having a LOT of problems. After a year or so of on again, off again, problems, I sent it back (they now charge $20 for 'service')... again. They sent me a new unit and it has worked wonderfully since then. I even got the IR to work but the "window" is really small and thus unreliable (I think it may have to do with the alignment of the screens over the sensor). I'm still limited as to the time I can use it but for now, it's been great. When I got this unit back I had a back log of 800+ rounds waiting to be shot over the screens! It's handled the majority of them just fine and for the time being, I'm back in love! But it's down to the wire... screw up one more time & I get a LabRadar right after I shoot the durn thing!
Cheers,
crkckr

U got two options brother. Labradar or Magnetospeed. Both are very close in accuracy. The decision is do u want to strap something to your barrel or not. I had both and I got rid of the labradar simply because of the setup and missing shots on suppressed rifles. Ever had one issue with the magneto. Yes your poi shifts but from what I have seen thru lots of shooting is it does not in anyway affect group size. Good luck on your decision.
So what if it shifts the POI?? It isn't on the barrel for sighting in the scope anyway.
(this is not directed at you, nt7332, but to the critics of magnetospeed on this point.)

I have a LR, once you learn how to set it up it is a very simple process. I got a mk machining sight which makes it much easier to sight in.
I don't shoot supressed so thats not an issue for me, with all my other rifles the only thing I have ever had trouble missing shots is my 17hmr.
I also use it most of the time setup at the front edge of the stock with the barrel way out in front. I can arm it from prone and it seems to catch shots just fine.

I also found that you can block the entire way around the unit, ad long as the enite flat front plate is exposed it will pickup shots. With larger (338 and up) braked rifles I run a baffle between the rifle and the LR to block the blast from hitting it. I doubt the LR would standup to many blasts.

No experience with LabRadar but I use a Magnetospeed V3 for load development in my rifles. I've fired probably 150 total shots over it with a variety of calibers (.223 all the way up to the mighty 50 BMG) and it's only missed one or two shots IIRC. Velocities given proved to be pretty spot on when truing the rifles at distance as well. One thing to keep in mind if you decide to go the Magnetospeed route is to check the strap every once in a while to make sure it hasn't come loose. Other than that no complaints.

I've gone thru more than my share of problems with the Pact, believe me. Like I said, a love/hate relationship. When it works, it's great, when it doesn't... grrrr! The urge to shoot the miserable thing at times has been overwhelming! The first one I had (Model 1) worked well 99% of the time but started giving me a lot of problems when I left sunny CA and moved to MO (aka, the State of Misery!). I finally upgraded to the IR unit but was never able to get it work. So I was limited to shooting between 1pm up to about 4 during the winter. Summer a bit longer but the trees can still make things iffy. Then I started having a LOT of problems. After a year or so of on again, off again, problems, I sent it back (they now charge $20 for 'service')... again. They sent me a new unit and it has worked wonderfully since then. I even got the IR to work but the "window" is really small and thus unreliable (I think it may have to do with the alignment of the screens over the sensor). I'm still limited as to the time I can use it but for now, it's been great. When I got this unit back I had a back log of 800+ rounds waiting to be shot over the screens! It's handled the majority of them just fine and for the time being, I'm back in love! But it's down to the wire... screw up one more time & I get a LabRadar right after I shoot the durn thing!
Cheers,
crkckr
crkckr: Sounds like you have already suffered $500 worth of anger and wasted time, caused by your Pact chrono! Bite the bullet, admit that the Pact is obsolete, and buy a Magnetospeed or LabRadar. If you don't, you are a certified masochist.
You will enjoy your shooting so much more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.