What cheap chronograph?

WildcatB

What's the cheapest chronograph that will get the job done? I don't need anything fancy, just reliable.

Walmart seems to have good prices (as always). Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Search results for Chronograph - Wal-mart

If all these are junk... what other ones would you recommend?

Thanks

Paul

I have the beta with remote and I really wouldn't buy it again or any of shooting chrony's stuff. For about $200.00 you get a way better unit.

I have a Chrony F-1 and a Chrony Beta Master with the paper tape thing. Probably have $300 invested (tripods, tape, extra long wires, extra sun defusers, etc.). Bought a Oheler 35 just before they were discontinued, and what a good move ! If the Oheler is more accurate with the greater spacing of the sensors, then the Chronys were indicating on the average of 40 fps higher velocities than the Oheler. I believe the Oheler.
If I had to buy another chronograph today, it would be the CED unit or if $$$ were no object, I would look at the new one offered by NECO, or an Oheler 43 (?) and not have to worry about inaccuracy. Having said all of that, anything is better than nothing IMHO.
Jim

I bought a cheap one ($100),it's made by competition electronics.I think it's off by about 200fps,it was telling me I was shooting 2480fps.I did some drop tests and concluded I am shooting around 2660fps.maybe it had something to do with shooting on a cloudy day or something,or too cold.But as far as I am concerned,If you can't trust it,it's useless.I wish I would have spent more money and bought a good one.

Thanks everyone...

I'm going to try the CED Millennium system once Midway has them in stock.

Last edited:
I bought a PACT Model 1-XP. Compared to the OHLER Model 33 that is shared with other members of my family, there is no comparison.

The PACT is not very reliable, Very sensitive to the lighting conditions. I can not trust it, if taking results based upon a single setting. I always reverify my findingd to insure that I am have an accurate finding, which is a pain in the pocket book.

The OHLER always works like a champ, very dependable.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Don

pstimac, If you get a CED, it looks like the M2 is a better deal. Check them out. I have an Oehler 35P that is acting up. Talked to Oehler the other day, and as expected, they are supporting the 35/35P with parts and service, just not selling them now. Fortunately, I also have an elderly 33 that works like a charm, so am not in the market right now. When I checked on CED, the M2 has several useful features that the Millenium doesn't.

They may sell direct.

Good luck, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.