Accuracy versus velocity

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster
no...don't waste your time with it...

I look at how much terminal velocity at a given range that a bullet has for a given caliber, muzzle velocity. Bullet manufacturers publish their recommendations for optimal terminal velocities at ranges you will be shooting. So I never hunt with a load that gives a muzzle velocity which ends up with a terminal velocity that violates the bullet mfg recommendations. Proof is in the pudding. If your bullet is not performing on game at 400yds like it is supposed to be, then maybe you need that extra 100 or 200 fps, or you need a different bullet. If you are just punching paper, well if your groups are where you want them, there's no need to burn out your barrel if its doing what you want.

I have often found the same thing an accuracy node about 120 feet or so apart, if the case has the capacity to get to the faster accurate node I will always go there even if only shooting 400 yds.

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster
You're correct. For some of us it's a trivial pursuit and a hobby. An obsession. OCD!

You only mentioned accuracy, but are you also interested in precision? Accuracy is "on target". Precision is small group size even without being on target. Neither consider terminal performance. For terminal performance you need a minimum velocity per the bullet design and target characteristics. Beyond appropriate velocity for acceptable terminal performance, velocity is only one input to the bullet flight equation. At every point in a shooting application, each input plays a changing role in the appropriate solution. Some believe, Speed is King. I worship at the Consistency is King altar. I'm not as impressed with how fast the bullet gets there as I am with the bullet ALWAYS being there. A fast miss is not in the least bit interesting. Regardless of range, those extra FPS often reduce accuracy either through increased inconsistency in bullet flight and/or in increased recoil and associated shooter adverse reaction to that recoil. The shooter is typically the most inconsistent variable. And, then, there is the barrel life issue depending on your shooting application. Probably a non issue for hunting. Accuracy....and precision.....is all about consistency. You can easily dial a little more to compensate for a slower bullet....certainly at only 400yds, but you can't dial any amount to compensate for inconsistency. With inconsistency, you will only chase your own tail. The fastest bullet may only make you chase faster. Above the acceptable terminal performance threshold, find the velocity that produces the greatest consistency....ES, D, bullet flight, stability, impact, shooter , et el....and stay with it. Like the tortoise and the hare parable.....the speedy one is all over; the plodder gets the job done. Kinda like old guys too. Oh, and, did I mention that CONSISTENCY IS KING. And, then there is the concept that a good shot while the game is available, sure beats the perfect/fastest shot a year after the game has aged and died. The game...and the shooter...only has so many heartbeats. :) :) :)

Last edited:
If only shooting to 400yds or so I see no need to push for more velocity accuracy is always of the most importance no matter what, velocity without accuracy is just a faster miss

Accuracy should always be the goal at any range but sometimes you'll have to find the best compromise between the two.

A lot of good info on here. I should say I'm fairly new to reloading and I'm also loading for hunting rifles . My rifle or me are probably not capable of what some of you folks are achieving. If I get a load that shoots under 1in at 100yd and will achieve terminal performance at my range I'm a happy camper, however I do want to have the knowledge if I do become OCD😂

A lot of good info on here. I should say I'm fairly new to reloading and I'm also loading for hunting rifles . My rifle or me are probably not capable of what some of you folks are achieving. If I get a load that shoots under 1in at 100yd and will achieve terminal performance at my range I'm a happy camper, however I do want to have the knowledge if I do become OCD😂

Consistency in the reloading process and long-range hunting/shooting does not happen overnight, take your time and enjoy the learning process.

I think Rilow the OP should be congratulated on an interesting and informative post. Look at the hits it's recieved and the good back and forth dialogue. Times dictate that house arrest has caused interest in good topics such as this one to generate something to do besides puttering around the house and gunroom. Well Done! :)

I think Rilow the OP should be congratulated on an interesting and informative post. Look at the hits it's recieved and the good back and forth dialogue. Times dictate that house arrest has caused interest in good topics such as this one to generate something to do besides puttering around the house and gunroom. Well Done! :)
It has been very informative,that's what make this site great. I find myself reading all the threads about reloading even if it is about an issue that I'm not having because it gives me more knowledge so I maybe know how to solve some of the issues if and when they do show up

It depends on what you want.

Velocity gets you Energy, Accuracy gets you success.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.