Accuracy versus velocity

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster

Seems everybody wants one simple rule that works for every reloading question. Life ain't like that! What works best in mine may not in yours.
Case in point is the 308 Win. Gold standard is Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 or 175 gn SMK. These are a bit slower than max, but seem to work great in most any 308.

When I worked up best loads in 30-06, best was same bullets at max velocity. Go figger.

These are just examples, BTW. There is work involved in optimizing results in each gun/bullet combination. That's the fun of it....right?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.