Accuracy Issues with "turn key" 1000yd rifle

If it was an honest mistake and they are mortified by it then public mention does no one any good. The very breaking-in and load development could be the cause of the fretting that I see. Should they have checked action screw torque before shipping it? Maybe. Maybe they had no reason to suspect that it had loosened and have never had them loosen from that sequence in the past.
We had a rule in the race car shop, you never, ever partly installed anything. You either installed it and then went to lunch, or you didn't install it until after lunch. Maybe they have no such rule, and it has bit them.

They're accountable either way, but public shame for no good reason does only damage. Give them the benefit of doubt, or better yet put yourself in their shoes. If you made an honest mistake would you want it broadcast all over the net before you even had a chance to fix it? It's bad enough that the mistake was made. Like someone else just said, how they go about addressing the problem will be important. If they are less than immediately on fixing it and going out of their way to make it right, then where's that bus? I'll help you.

Go back and look at those pics - my 12 year old could do better work. If that was something a buddy did as a favor then you live with it. When it is a professional who took advantage of your wife, they deserve to be lit up.

Once you name the company you are in violation of LRH Forum Rule #7

7) There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not.

Half of the threads on here are complaint threads, guys sharing bad experiences about bullet performance or optics or rifles...So if somebody asks us how our experience is with X,Y or Z and it is a negative one, you don't want us to share it on here?

Last edited:
Once you name the company you are in violation of LRH Forum Rule #7

7) There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not.

I understand the idea of not getting any "bashing" threads started on here. But if someone in this business builds a product with such an obvious problem and won't stand behind it other people should be warned. Once a fraudster gets away with it and is not called out more customers will get shammed out of good money.

I had troubles with three different rifles, one would not hit the paper a 100yds. they said it shot .26moa, one shot great at 200yds but 400yds. it was over the top, the 3rd had 2 in groups at 100yds. The first two rifles custom rifles and the 3rd was a production rifle. They were three different companies, I told them about the problems, they were taken care of, a person cant ask for anything more. Give them a chance.

I've looked at them enough, hasn't altered my stance. I see a mold parting line, not a crack. I see fretting that was likely caused by the rough surface finish of the mating parts. I see partial fill in spots of the bonding agent for the bedding block. Just because it's not pretty doesn't mean that once the actual problems are resolved that it won't shoot as advertised.
Would I be happy with that as my rifle? No. That doesn't mean that the shop in question shouldn't first be given the opportunity to fix it in private.

Say it was YOUR shop that did that work. Obviously you wouldn't allow something like that out of your shop if you knew about it. What if you didn't know about it? What if it was an employee who, for any large range of reasons, did that? Wouldn't YOU like to be given the chance to fix it in private? Once the OP goes public with who the shop was, the chance to amicably resolve the problems are gone.

And, let's say that the shop won't do anything about it. That they consider that to be professional grade work. Then, and only then, I'll help you light that fire.

Go back and look at those pics - my 12 year old could do better work. If that was something a buddy did as a favor then you live with it. When it is a professional who took advantage of your wife, they deserve to be lit up.

I've looked at them enough, hasn't altered my stance. I see a mold parting line, not a crack. I see fretting that was likely caused by the rough surface finish of the mating parts. I see partial fill in spots of the bonding agent for the bedding block. Just because it's not pretty doesn't mean that once the actual problems are resolved that it won't shoot as advertised.
Would I be happy with that as my rifle? No. That doesn't mean that the shop in question shouldn't first be given the opportunity to fix it in private.

Say it was YOUR shop that did that work. Obviously you wouldn't allow something like that out of your shop if you knew about it. What if you didn't know about it? What if it was an employee who, for any large range of reasons, did that? Wouldn't YOU like to be given the chance to fix it in private? Once the OP goes public with who the shop was, the chance to amicably resolve the problems are gone.

And, let's say that the shop won't do anything about it. That they consider that to be professional grade work. Then, and only then, I'll help you light that fire.

Its a moot point now - name dropping gets you 90 to life! Lol

Another forum calls that "Banned Camp" LOL
Minor transgressions earn you a 30 day stay in camp. Major transgressions or frequent and multiple minor transgressions make you a permanent Camp Counselor.

Last edited:
Update time. I got the gun back to the builder and the cracked stock was replaced and tested. Rifle accuracy was still a shotgun pattern at best. It was finally determined that the scope was bad. Now the rifle is shooting great. The customer service from the builder and the scope maker was outstanding. Thanks for the feedback from everyone

Most builders will bust there buts to get it right but they must know about the problem. Len is doing the right thing by not letting us bash business and people on here, thanks Len.

Update time. I got the gun back to the builder and the cracked stock was replaced and tested. Rifle accuracy was still a shotgun pattern at best. It was finally determined that the scope was bad. Now the rifle is shooting great. The customer service from the builder and the scope maker was outstanding. Thanks for the feedback from everyone

So the gun builder was told about the problem and he fixed it without having his name dragged all over the internet.

This is why these issues need to be solved by communicating with the seller or builder.

This is a good example of why we have:

RULE #7
There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not

I bet that 90% of those who read the first posts in this thread have no idea that the unnamed (thank goodness) rifle builder "The customer service from the builder and the scope maker was outstanding." according to the customer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.