Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

I have hit elk with 270, 7 mag , 300 mag and 338 win mag, heart lung, high shoulder and spine. Never DRT.

So I'm curious how elk topple over for some people but never for me... :D

So you don't shoot your elk in the head.:D They fall over DRT.gun)

bigger will always be better when it comes to shooting long distance. but i will toss this out there. take your 7mm and spend the next 30 days shooting at the 1000yd mark. when you can place 5 rounds 5 times a day in what is about a 12in target zone then you are ready to step to a live shot. you will find that on paper a 1000yd shot is easy to talk about. completing that shot is all that counts, no matter how big the bore is a miss is still a miss. wounded game at that range can be very hard to find, no one wants to leave a wounded animal in the field.

bigger will always be better when it comes to shooting long distance. but i will toss this out there. take your 7mm and spend the next 30 days shooting at the 1000yd mark. when you can place 5 rounds 5 times a day in what is about a 12in target zone then you are ready to step to a live shot. you will find that on paper a 1000yd shot is easy to talk about. completing that shot is all that counts, no matter how big the bore is a miss is still a miss. wounded game at that range can be very hard to find, no one wants to leave a wounded animal in the field.

finish-02-look-down.gif

Disclaimer to avoid getting off topic!
I am an experienced shooter, and realize what it takes to shoot into the 1000 yard mark and the moral decisions that come with it when hunting at those ranges.

One question if I may: Have you ever dropped an elk DRT? Ever?

Ever seen one DRT? I have seen and shot some deer, mostly DRT with 270 and bigger. Never an elk.

I have hit elk with 270, 7 mag , 300 mag and 338 win mag, heart lung, high shoulder and spine. Never DRT.

I have. :D Actually my first elk.... a cow at 387 yards, 338 Lapua, 280 grain Barnes LRX, high shoulder, she was DRT! Her head whipped back and touched her shoulders and it was obvious she was hit HARD. I wish i could have gotten that on camera.

Riley

I have. :D Actually my first elk.... a cow at 387 yards, 338 Lapua, 280 grain Barnes LRX, high shoulder, she was DRT! Her head whipped back and touched her shoulders and it was obvious she was hit HARD. I wish i could have gotten that on camera.

Riley

Me too! 330 bull at about 300 yards with a 168gr Barnes LRX. The only moving he did after being shot, was roll down the hill!

This one dropped and slid down the hill like to toboggan, never kicked once. You can see the slide mark behind him if you look close. 300 win and a 215 Berger in the crease behind the shoulder.

1351132013289Small.jpg

One question if I may: Have you ever dropped an elk DRT? Ever?

Ever seen one DRT? I have seen and shot some deer, mostly DRT with 270 and bigger. Never an elk.

I have.

Using a Barnes 200 gr. @ about 80 yards from a 300 Win Mag. First shot in the boiler room and he just stood there for about 20 seconds like he was waiting for a bus. I thought I missed. 2nd shot right next to the first and he stood there another 10 seconds and tipped over.

The only bang/flops I've seen are neck shots but have seen a runner on that shot too. Between running and rolling, the distance from where most were shot and where they ended up will cause you to talk to yourself.

I prefer 338's.

I am going with the ones with a 3 in front. a semi custom does not have to be too pricey here is the run down on my 338 build.

used 700 lh rifle for the action $300
sendero contoured and 338 rum chambered Douglas barrel $320 shipped
Defensive edge muzzle brake $100
Rifle basics trigger $120
Wyatt's 4" box mag $70
Manners t 2 stock $570
Total gunsmith fee to head space the chamber and fit the break $150
total $1630
Having a rifle that will shoot 300 gr Berger's in to .6 groups @ 100 yds. and is scary effective @ 1200 yds. priceless

N570 is the preferred powder for my gun pushing the 300 grn @ 2750 6 loads per case.

On the flip side of the coin I also am bringing a 300 win sporter weight gun that is very capable out to 500 yards with the ballistic plex scope mounted on it.
The 300 is the back up plan if you end up with a week to hunt and 30 mph winds make that 1k yd. pile driver next to useless and a lighter rifle would be real nice for timber and tight drainages with long hikes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.